I want to replace the first character in a column of text

  1. #1
    Biredndra
    Guest

    I want to replace the first character in a column of text

    We have a client that has several thousand rows of data in a single column
    formatted as this example shows: A12345B. Where the alpha characters are
    any of the 26 available. They want to change the leading alpha character
    from whatever it is presently to an upper case X while leaving the rest of
    the line unaffected.

    Any and all help appreciated.

  2. #2
    Kassie
    Guest

    RE: I want to replace the first character in a column of text

    Hi Biredndra

    With the data in Col A, enter into A1, then copy down

    ="X"&RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)
    --
    [email protected]ve_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa

  3. #3
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: I want to replace the first character in a column of text

    or if you need a macro, just replace the range here with yours

    Sub replace_text()
    For Each cell In Range("a1:a30")
    cell.Value = "X" & Right(cell.Value, Len(cell.Value) - 1)
    Next

    Gary

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Biredndra
    Guest

    RE: I want to replace the first character in a column of text

    Thank you very much Kassie...I very much appreciate the time you took to
    share this solution with me...it works elegantly and is easy to employ...

    Major Kudos!

    Birendra

  5. #5
    Biredndra
    Guest

    Re: I want to replace the first character in a column of text

    Thank you Gary: The macro you created works very well and is very
    helpful...I am very grateful for your time and assitance...!

    Thanks again...

    Birendra

  6. #6
    Kassie
    Guest

    RE: I want to replace the first character in a column of text

    Hi Biredndra

    Glad I could have been of assistance, and thanks for the feedback!