Creating Functions

  1. #1

    Creating Functions

    Hi all

    I suspect that this is a really simple easy question but it is annoying with the lack of information available......

    I have created a function called

    weekno(ipdata as date) as integer

    and have put it in thisworkbook on the vba editor.....

    Firstly is this the correct place to put functions or do I need a module?
    Secondly is I go to any of the sheets and in a cell put =weekno(K4) for example, I get #Name? - how do I make it reference thisworkbook to tell it that the function is located there?

    Any help is appreciated.
    Regards
    Merovingian

  2. #2
    Nigel
    Guest

    Re: Creating Functions

    The simple solution would be to put the function in a module.

    --
    Cheers
    Nigel

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bruno Campanini
    Guest

    Re: Creating Functions

    "-=Merovingian=-"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    [...]
    > Firstly is this the correct place to put functions or do I need a
    > module?
    > Secondly is I go to any of the sheets and in a cell put =weekno(K4) for
    > example, I get #Name? - how do I make it reference -thisworkbook- to
    > tell it that the function is located there?

    Put in a module all you need do be "visible" from anywhere.

    Ciao
    Bruno

  4. #4
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Creating Functions

    Module

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  5. #5
    Mika Oukka
    Guest

    Re: Creating Functions

    Hello,

    Thisworkbook is a place to put a code if you want to bind the code to an
    event. (ex. Workbook_Open located in Thisworkbook is triggered when the
    workbook opens)

    Functions that you want available all the time as long as this workbook is
    open, you put in a module.

    Remember yet that if you have activated the following command

    AddIn from the menu Tools-AddIns...-Analysis ToolPack

    then you already have enabled a function =WEEKNUM(date) that returns a
    weeknumber of a givendate.

    Regards, Mika