Function or VBA Solution Needed

  1. #1
    FireGeek822
    Guest

    Function or VBA Solution Needed

    I am trying to do some automation of cells and have an IF Function
    started. As I continue to build this automation, I am wondering if a
    VBA solution is better? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

    Current function in all ColB cells starting at row B2 (B1 is empty on
    purpose) is as follows:

    =IF((A2)<>"", CONCATENATE((A2), ".", "1"), CONCATENATE((A2), ".",
    (RIGHT((B2), (SEARCH(".",(B2),1))-1))+1))

    This produces the following

    ColA ColB
    1
    1.1
    1.2
    1.3
    2 1.4
    2.1
    2.2
    2.3
    3 2.4
    3.1
    3.2
    3.3
    4 3.4
    4.1

    Ideally, we want all cells that now contain 1.4, 2.4, 3.4, etc to be
    blank as with cell (B1). We would like ColB to be locked so no one can
    edit this column. It should also update automatically if someone enters
    a value in ColA.

    Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Tammy
    [email protected]

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Function or VBA Solution Needed

    See one anser in .worksheet.functions.

    Please don't post the same message in multiple groups. It tends to
    fragment any answers you get, and potentially wastes the time of thosse
    who try to answer a question that's already been answered.

  3. #3
    FireGeek822
    Guest

    Re: Function or VBA Solution Needed

    Sorry - I just wasn't sure where to post. Especially if there is a
    better solution by doing VBA code in a module.

    Tammy

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Function or VBA Solution Needed

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "FireGeek822" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sorry - I just wasn't sure where to post. Especially if there is a
    > better solution by doing VBA code in a module.

    See

    http://cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm

    for tips on using these groups effectively.

    A VBA solution wouldn't necessarily be "better" or "worse", unless you
    need an automated solution.

  5. #5
    FireGeek822
    Guest

    Re: Function or VBA Solution Needed

    "Automated Solution" that is the point. I am looking to automate this
    project as much as possible.

    Tammy