convert american dates from a query

  1. #1
    Mika
    Guest

    convert american dates from a query

    Hi,

    I checked past post about date conversions but couldn't find any that
    fix my problem:

    - I am doing a query that returns dates (text strings) in the format 1
    Dec 2005, and I need to convert them to the user short date format.

    Problem is that the xl of those users does not understand "Dec". As
    there are "built in" functions that only works in the American format I
    was expecting this was going to be an easy one... but so far no
    success. Ideas

    Mika

  2. #2
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: convert american dates from a query

    What dates are recognized by the local Excel settings? I would guess that
    the big obstacle would be the month names/abbreviations. Perhaps you need to
    convert them to strings, then use a lookup table to replace the month names
    with the localized equivalents, then do the conversion using the DATEVALUE
    function. Just a thought as I have no way to test it.
    --
    - K Dales

  3. #3
    Mika
    Guest

    Re: convert american dates from a query

    Sorrowfully I think you are right Dales. I think that is what I should
    do. I was trying to avoid it, in case such a function was already
    developed. It is amazing that different Excel language versions can not
    understand each other. The minimum I would expect is that any version
    has functions, like val(...), that always/only work with english and
    then, trough format, could give outputs in the local language,
    something like:

    Mylocal_date=Format(ValFunction("3 Dec 2005"),"short date")

    Mika