What happened to "favorites"?

  1. #1
    quartz
    Guest

    What happened to "favorites"?

    I was recently upgraded to Office 2003 (with Windows XP) and I noticed that
    the "Favorites" button that used to appear on the [File] [Open] dialog box in
    Excel (and Word) is no longer there.

    Is there a way to restore this button (if so, how?) or is it phased out
    altogether in 2003?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. #2

    Re: What happened to "favorites"?

    Maybe you can just add it back.

    File|Open, then traverse to your Favorites folder
    (Mine is: C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Favorites)

    Actually, stay one level higher, so you can click on Favorites.

    Then Tools|Add to "my places"

  3. #3
    quartz
    Guest

    Re: What happened to "favorites"?

    Great! Thanks!

  4. #4
    Dorci
    Guest

    Re: What happened to "favorites"?

    Dave,
    I'd like to do the same thing. However, I don't have "Add to My Places"
    under Tools in Windows Explorer. I only have "Map Network Drive",
    "Disconnect Network Drive", "Synchronize", and "Folder Options". Am I in the
    wrong place?

  5. #5

    Re: What happened to "favorites"?

    Open excel and do File|Open. Then look under tools.

    My Places was added in xl2002.

    If you're using xl2k, MS has a COM addin that's called Places.exe
    that allows you to update the places list.

    INFO: Office Developer Samples and Tools Available for Download (Q253338)

  6. #6
    Dorci
    Guest

    Re: What happened to "favorites"?