Accessing word documents from Excel

  1. #1
    SueJB
    Guest

    Accessing word documents from Excel

    I need to search through a directory of Word documents, check if a specified
    word is in any of them, and if found paste the document name into Excel.

    I'm working on this step by step!

    First step is to access Word documents from within Excel. I have the
    following code (for which I thank michelxld for his earlier posting) to test
    whether I can open/copy from Word documents:

    Sub importFromWord()

    'Activate Word Object Library

    Dim WordApp As Word.Application /// error arises here
    Dim WordDoc As Word.Document

    Set WordApp = CreateObject("word.application") ' Open Word session

    WordApp.Visible = False 'keep word invisible
    Set WordDoc = WordApp.Documents.Open("C:\test\test.doc") ' open Word file

    'copy third row of first Word table
    WordDoc.Tables(1).Rows(3).Range.Copy

    'paste in Excel
    Range("A1").PasteSpecial xlPasteValues

    WordDoc.Close 'close Word doc
    WordApp.Quit ' close Word

    End Sub

    There's an immediate error (marked /// above) with the message Compile Error
    : User-Defined Type not Defined.

    Could it be that I have to explicitly activate the Word object library (I've
    copied the comment that michelxld included but suspect I should DO something
    here!). If so, any pointers on what to do would be much appreciated - I've
    searched these archives without finding anything but that may be because my
    understanding is limited on this.

    All comments gratefully received. If I can get this step working, onwards
    and upwards to what I actually need to do!

    Best wishes
    SueJB

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor