Maximum number of characters in a cell

  1. #1
    Bill Murphy
    Guest

    Maximum number of characters in a cell

    Is there a way to format a cell so that it can contain more than 255
    characters?

    Bill

  2. #2
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Guest

    Re: Maximum number of characters in a cell

    Hi Bill,

    > Is there a way to format a cell so that it can contain more than 255
    > characters?

    A cell can contain about 32000 characters, but Excel will display only
    about a 1000 of them (depending on font and fontsize).

    Regards,

    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP
    http://www.jkp-ads.com

  3. #3
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Maximum number of characters in a cell

    If you would add some forced (manual) line breaks (<Alt> <Enter>) in your
    text at opportune locations, you will find that you can *display* much more
    text.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Maximum number of characters in a cell

    It can contain 32K characters.

    You have to put in hard carriage returns if you want to display more than
    approximately 1024.

    Tom Ogilvy

  5. #5
    Bill Murphy
    Guest

    Re: Maximum number of characters in a cell

    Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll try the hard returns to display
    more characters.

    Bill

  6. #6
    Bill Murphy
    Guest

    Re: Maximum number of characters in a cell

    RD,

    I'm having trouble inserting a manual line break in my text, so I must have
    a syntax problem. I'm doing this in a function named fConcatChild, and
    returning the results to a query which is then exported to Excel using Excel
    automation from within Access. Here's the code in my function:

    ' insert a hard return for display in Excel if the string is longer than
    255
    If Len(fConcatChild) > 255 Then
    fConcatChild = Left(fConcatChild, 255) & vbCrLf &
    Right(fConcatChild, Len(fConcatChild) - 255)

    End If

    I'm still getting only about 255 characters in the cell in Excel to which
    this variable is exported. Am I using the wrong Visual Basic constant
    vbCrLf?

    Bill

    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If you would add some forced (manual) line breaks (<Alt> <Enter>) in your
    > text at opportune locations, you will find that you can *display* much

    more
    > text.
    > --
    > HTH,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  7. #7
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Maximum number of characters in a cell

    In VBA you want to use vbLf as it is only CHR(10)
    which is Line Feed that Excel will pay attention to,
    and you will have to turn on cell wrapping in your code,
    or in the formatting for the column.

    In Excel for a text constant. The can use of Alt+Enter is what
    will extend the display. It will also turn on cell wrapping.
    Not documented in the specifications that you can increase
    the number of characters displayed by doing this. You can
    use CHAR(10) in a worksheet formula concatenation.

    In a Worksheet Formula you would also be limited to:
    Length of formula contents 1,024 characters

    In your Excel help look up "specification"
    ---
    HTH,