identical macros run fast and slow

  1. #1
    markwattwood
    Guest

    identical macros run fast and slow

    I have written two identical Macros using Visual Basic. The only difference
    in the code are the variables that are inputted. the code contains
    directions that cause lines to be hidden or cells to be erased based upon
    either the color or content of the cells. One macro runs fast but the other
    runs very slow. Ive contacted IBM and they say it is not the processor.
    When viewing the code in the debug mode the selection.clearcontents seems to
    cause a pause in the execution but only in the one macro.

  2. #2

    Re: identical macros run fast and slow

    If you're hiding rows or columns, then excel may be trying to determine where
    those little dotted lines go (the ones you see after you do File|print preview).

    If you delete/hide/show lots of rows, this can slow your macro down.

    As a test, try this on the slow version.

    Open your workbook
    tools|options|view tab|uncheck Page Breaks

    Then run your macro. If it works fast, then maybe you found the problem.

    ===
    Saved from a previous post...

    There are some other settings that can make your code work faster:

    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    CalcMode = Application.Calculation
    ActiveSheet.DisplayPageBreaks = False

    The first stops the screen flickering when you select different sheets (but it's
    even better to not select sheets/ranges/objects).

    The second & third line turns calculation to manual (and remembers the current
    setting).

    You'll want to turn it back to what it was before you started at the end:
    Application.calculation = calcmode

    And the last tells excel to not worry about where to show those dotted lines
    (where page breaks would be). This is useful if your macro inserts/deletes rows
    or columns.

  3. #3
    markwattwood
    Guest

  4. #4
    markwattwood
    Guest

    Re: identical macros run fast and slow

    I checked the view bar and you are right. the page breaks is not checked in
    one, but in the slow one it is in grey and will not uncheck. Ive unprotected
    the sheet . All other settings are identical to the fast macro.

  5. #5

    Re: identical macros run fast and slow

    It sounds like you're viewing the window in Page Break Preview mode.

    View|Normal

    And with that added code, it should work quicker.

  6. #6
    markwattwood
    Guest

    Re: identical macros run fast and slow