Need help with auto selecting cells

  1. #1
    Greegan
    Guest

    Need help with auto selecting cells

    I posted the following in another newsgroup.
    I only got so far with answers and its been a few days waiting.
    I decided I should try another newsgroup and found this one.
    I'm hoping someone could help me out...

    I have a changing value in cell K7 which will result in a random number
    (already generated - no assistance needed here) with a letter for my BINGO
    game. So B1-B15, I16-I30, etc all the way to O75.
    I have a range of numbers to match the randomly generated number in cells B1
    to P5.

    What I would like is when any cell in B1-O75 is equal to the value in K7
    then the cursor, cell highlight or whatever, auto selects that matching
    cell.

    Right now I need to select that matching cell, then select a menu item I
    call Next Turn, and then it will generate a new number. But I have to do
    this with each and every turn and ... well that's 75 turns to do the same
    thing repeatedly (Cell>NextTurn,Cell>NextTurn, and so on).

    If someone can give me a script that will auto select the identical cell,
    then it only be Button, Button, Button.

    Thank you in advance

    From: ?

    Does it need to be selected for you, or just highlighted? If the latter, you
    could use conditional formatting.

    Answer: It needs to highlight the cell that matches K7

    From: Don

    right click sheet tab>view code>insert this>modify to suit>SAVE

    Set myrange = Range("b1:b4")
    If Target.Address <> "$D$1" Then Exit Sub
    If Intersect(Target, myrange) Is Nothing Then
    myrange.Find(Target).Activate

    Answer:
    I see what this does and I actually understand it, however its selecting the
    cell the range is being compared to.
    I need it to select the cell in the range that matches what currently is my
    target.
    Is there something we can change here to make that work?

    Thanks again,

    New Updated Question:

    I'm going to approach my BINGO question from another angle here...
    If I know what cell will have B1 and which will have B-I-N-G-O through to
    O75...
    Then could I not do a statement or script or something where it says
    something like If K7=B1 then select B1 but if K7 = P5 then select P5 ?
    I know I would probably need to do this for all of them... and you guys are
    great with the help, but what I've been given isn't working the way I need
    it to...

    Thanks in advance

    I never did get an answer for this.
    Can someone help me out?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: Need help with auto selecting cells

    It shouldn't be too difficult to set the activecell based on the value
    in K7 BUT we would need to know exactly how the value in K7 is being
    changed e.g. is it done directly via a macro linked to a button, is it a
    calculation, is the entry typed in etc. If its done via a macro it would
    be handy to see that code.

    Regards
    Rowan

  3. #3
    Greegan
    Guest

    Re: Need help with auto selecting cells

    Thank you for your reply. Actually the way I've done it was simplest for me,
    but I'm sure there is an easier way...

    I have a script given to me as follows

    Function RandLotto(Bottom As Integer, Top As Integer, _
    Amount As Integer) As String
    Dim iArr As Variant
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim r As Integer
    Dim temp As Integer

    Application.Volatile

    ReDim iArr(Bottom To Top)
    For i = Bottom To Top
    iArr(i) = i
    Next i

    For i = Top To Bottom + 1 Step -1
    r = Int(Rnd() * (i - Bottom + 1)) + Bottom
    temp = iArr(r)
    iArr(r) = iArr(i)
    iArr(i) = temp
    Next i

    For i = Bottom To Bottom + Amount - 1
    RandLotto = RandLotto & "," & iArr(i)
    Next i

    RandLotto = Trim(RandLotto)

    End Function

    I added the comma so when i use ... =randlotto(1,75,75) I can use text to
    column and separate the numbers.
    Then are then transposed into a "table" for a vlookup.
    =IF(A7="","",VLOOKUP(A7,BingoGameTurns,2,FALSE))

    The Vlookup relates the Turn Number with the number rolled.
    J7 vlookups the turn number in A7, and K7 then does a lookup of another
    "table" to determine the B-I-N-G-O combination with the numbers 1 through
    75.

    Its not done very clean but it was the best I could do with the
    understanding I have of this stuff.

    The formula in K7 is
    =IF(J7="","",VLOOKUP(J7,BINGOCode,2,FALSE))

    One more thing... So that it changes with each turn I have the following
    macro that tells A8 to add 1 to A7 for the next turn...

    Sub NextBingoTurn()
    '
    ' NextBingoTurn Macro
    ' Macro recorded 10/30/2005 by PartyLite
    '
    ' next turn
    Selection.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
    Range("A8").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Range("A7").Select
    SkipBlanks _
    :=False, Transpose:=False
    End Sub

    If you need anything else then let me know

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: Need help with auto selecting cells

    I was still a little confused by the fact that it seemed you wanted to
    search the range B1:O75 for the value in cell K7 every time it changes.
    The problem being that K7 is in the range B1:O75 so you would always end
    up finding K7 if nothing else.

    Reading your other posts I have now decided the range you are wanting to
    search is just columns B,G,I,N and O. Am I even close?? If so try this:

    Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()

    Dim BRange As Range
    Dim fndRange As Range

    On Error GoTo exit_event
    Application.EnableEvents = False

    Set BRange = Union(Range("B1:B75"), Range("I1:I75"), _
    Range("N1:N75"), Range("G1:G75"), Range("O1:O75"))
    With BRange
    Set fndRange = .Find(Range("K7").Value)
    End With
    If Not fndRange Is Nothing Then
    fndRange.Select
    End If

    exit_event:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End Sub

    This is sheet event code. Right click the sheet tab, select view code
    and paste the code in there. This will run every time the sheet
    calculates regardless of whether that recalculation has changed the
    value of K7.

    Regards
    Rowan

  5. #5
    Greegan
    Guest

    Re: Need help with auto selecting cells

    Rowan thank you for your help.
    The easiest way to describe is
    column A 1 through 5 is B, I, N, G, O
    The BINGO numbers (or the range) are located in B1:P5
    B1 is ... B1, B2 is... I1, P1 is B15
    Just like a BINGO screen it shows B is 1-15, I is 16-30 and so on up to O75
    in cell P5

    Sorry for the confusion.

  6. #6
    Greegan
    Guest

    Re: Need help with auto selecting cells

    Thanks Rowan,
    I changed the ranged cells to match what I described in my last post. It
    works perfectly. Thanks.

  7. #7
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: Need help with auto selecting cells

    You're welcome.

    Greegan wrote:
    > Thanks Rowan,
    > I changed the ranged cells to match what I described in my last post. It
    > works perfectly. Thanks.

    > "Rowan Drummond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I was still a little confused by the fact that it seemed you wanted to
    >>search the range B1:O75 for the value in cell K7 every time it changes. The
    >>problem being that K7 is in the range B1:O75 so you would always end up
    >>finding K7 if nothing else.
    >>
    >>Reading your other posts I have now decided the range you are wanting to
    >>search is just columns B,G,I,N and O. Am I even close?? If so try this:
    >>
    >>Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
    >>
    >> Dim BRange As Range
    >> Dim fndRange As Range
    >>
    >> On Error GoTo exit_event
    >> Application.EnableEvents = False
    >>
    >> Set BRange = Union(Range("B1:B75"), Range("I1:I75"), _
    >> Range("N1:N75"), Range("G1:G75"), Range("O1:O75"))
    >> With BRange
    >> Set fndRange = .Find(Range("K7").Value)
    >> End With
    >> If Not fndRange Is Nothing Then
    >> fndRange.Select
    >> End If
    >>
    >>exit_event:
    >> Application.EnableEvents = True
    >>End Sub
    >>
    >>This is sheet event code. Right click the sheet tab, select view code and
    >>paste the code in there. This will run every time the sheet calculates
    >>regardless of whether that recalculation has changed the value of K7.
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>Rowan
    >>
    >>Greegan wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thank you for your reply. Actually the way I've done it was simplest for
    >>>me, but I'm sure there is an easier way...
    >>>
    >>>I have a script given to me as follows
    >>>
    >>>Function RandLotto(Bottom As Integer, Top As Integer, _
    >>> Amount As Integer) As String
    >>> Dim iArr As Variant
    >>> Dim i As Integer
    >>> Dim r As Integer
    >>> Dim temp As Integer
    >>>
    >>> Application.Volatile
    >>>
    >>> ReDim iArr(Bottom To Top)
    >>> For i = Bottom To Top
    >>> iArr(i) = i
    >>> Next i
    >>>
    >>> For i = Top To Bottom + 1 Step -1
    >>> r = Int(Rnd() * (i - Bottom + 1)) + Bottom
    >>> temp = iArr(r)
    >>> iArr(r) = iArr(i)