Disabling effects of cells (temporarily)

  1. #1
    booner
    Guest

    Disabling effects of cells (temporarily)

    I have an odd situation (odd to me anyway) - getting some information from a
    database via a macro. The spreadsheet is quite large (many worksheets) -
    and when the information is taken from the database and put into the
    spreadsheet it is very slow. I tried this same code in a blank spreadsheet
    and the performance was very good. So my thought is - the effect of putting
    the data into this worksheet (and then Excel updating all of the
    worksheets - is the performance problem) - so I was curious if there is a
    way to put the data into this worksheet - and disable the effect in Excel of
    updating all of the references to this worksheet (cells) - until the
    database transaction is complete.

    Am I crazy?

    BBB

  2. #2
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: Disabling effects of cells (temporarily)

    You could set Calculation to Manual before you refresh and then set it back
    on Automatic when done. The basic code would be:

    Application.Calculation = xlCalcuationManual
    Workbooks("Book1").Worksheets("SheetName").QueryTables("QuerytableName").Refresh ' Or whatevery your code is to update your data
    .... ' similarly for other querytables
    - K Dales