Working with options from within Tools Options clears the Clipboar

  1. #1
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    Working with options from within Tools Options clears the Clipboar

    Good afternoon,

    Can anyone tell me why when, if I copy something to the Clipboard, then try
    to change a setting to something like scroll bars, worksheet tabs, formula
    bar etc, the clipboard empties?

    This works in "normal" Excel, as well as VBA - do a copy, then select
    "Tools" and "Options" from the menu, and the carousel line around the
    selection disappears!

    It's causing me MAJOR problems - I'm using 2003 on XP

    Thanks

    Pete

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Working with options from within Tools Options clears the Clipboar

    In code and manually, it is best to do the copy and paste as one set of
    actions with no intermediate actions.

    As to why, I would imagine that Excel errs on the side of caution in
    assuming that almost any action outside of pasting could change the
    environment of what was copied.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    Re: Working with options from within Tools Options clears the Clip

    Tom,

    I agree, except that I'm not doing a straight pasts, trather I'm having to
    do two paste specials, one for values and one for formats, so it's not that
    easy.

    Thanks for your thoughts

    Pete

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Working with options from within Tools Options clears the Clip

    If you do them with no intermediate steps, then I am not sure how that
    differentiates your situation from what I advised. I have never had any
    trouble doing that (following my advice).

  5. #5
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    Re: Working with options from within Tools Options clears the Clip

    Tom,

    Following your advice, I'm going to see if I can do a copy and paste special
    in one go, as I've never done it before.
    However, your other post about enableevents=false solved this problem
    anyway, as since I'm now no longer running the window view changes. I don't
    lose the contents of the clipboard!" :-)

    Once again, thanks for your help

    Pete

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Working with options from within Tools Options clears the Clip

    One go doesn't mean one command. Paste Special requires two commands
    (separate copy and paste), but they should be contiguous in your code.

  7. #7
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    Re: Working with options from within Tools Options clears the Clip

    Tom,

    I thought that was the case, but didn't want to say so until I'd proved
    otherwise.
    Anyway, the problem's now been solved, thanks to your EnableEvents tip.
    Off to Glastonbury for a well earned rest for a couple of days now, leaving
    behind a fully working code-compromise-free solution (bet it will have
    crashed when I get back, though! :-) )

    Have a good weekend

    Pete