[SOLVED] Excel should let me clear cell contents without clearing formulas

  1. #1
    BJM
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Excel should let me clear cell contents without clearing formulas

    Excel allows you to clear cell contents but it also clears formulas. We
    sometimes need to clear cells to produce mockup copies of financial
    statements that need to be blank in order to enter new numbers from year to
    year. Too much time has to be spent in determing which cells have formulas
    (which we want to keep) and which do not. We need another option to
    accomplish this. We use Microsoft Office Excel 2003.

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...el.programming

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Excel should let me clear cell contents without clearing formulas

    Use this

    Select your data
    F5
    Special>Constants
    OK

    See also the VBA help for SpecialCells

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Excel should let me clear cell contents without clearing formulas

    You already have it.

    Select the area you want to analyze and do

    Edit=>goto Special and select constants (add further restrictions if you
    just want to clear numbers or just text or just text and numbers)

    then do Edit clear contents.

    Tom Ogilvy

    "BJM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Excel allows you to clear cell contents but it also clears formulas. We
    > sometimes need to clear cells to produce mockup copies of financial
    > statements that need to be blank in order to enter new numbers from year

    > year. Too much time has to be spent in determing which cells have

    formulas
    > (which we want to keep) and which do not. We need another option to
    > accomplish this. We use Microsoft Office Excel 2003.
    >
    > ----------------

    this

  4. #4
    Rookie 1st class
    Guest

    Re: Excel should let me clear cell contents without clearing formu

    Here's a thought too
    After clearing entries save it as a template and you always have a clean
    sheel to start from.
    Lou

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Excel should let me clear cell contents without clearing formulas

    Since this is the programming newsgroup the posting about Excel not providing
    functionality is out of place, becase you can certainly program this action.

    It would be probably be nice to have a "Clear Constants" item on the the context
    menu just like there is a "Clear Contents" item and that like "Clear Contents" will
    only affect one cell if only cell is selected.

    I've not seen Microsoft add additional function to an existing version, so it would be
    a long time before you would see any change, meanwhile, ...

    Both Excel and VBA allow you to clear content of non formulas, and since
    this is the programming group, you can make up a toolbar button, menu, or context
    menu (right click menu) to make it easier with a macro...

    Excel::
    Select an area
    Ctrl+G (Edit, GoTo), Special, Constants (with Numbers, Text, Logicals, Errors)
    Del key (or Edit, Clear Contents)

    VBA:
    Selection.EntireRow.SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearContents
    or
    Selection.SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearContents

    Sub Clear_Constants() 'D.McRitchie 2005-11-26 rightclick.htm - insrtrow.htm
    Dim rng As Range 'prevent expansion of a single cell selection
    Set rng = Intersect(Selection, Selection.SpecialCells(xlConstants))
    If rng Is Nothing Then
    MsgBox "No constants in selection area(s) -- no removal"
    Else
    rng.ClearContents

    Installation for use in context menu (rightclick) requires additions to
    cell, column, and row CommandBar controls.

    More information in http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...lear_constants
    More information in http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/rightclick.htm
    ---
    HTH,

  6. #6
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Excel should let me clear cell contents without clearing formulas

    date in comment s/b 2005-11-19