Converting A Quarterly Dataset to Weekly Dataset

  1. #1
    Dan Thompson
    Guest

    Converting A Quarterly Dataset to Weekly Dataset

    I have been trying to write a module in vba that will convert a dataset that
    is quarterly data to a dataset that is a weekly data set, (as the data I have
    is only available in quarterly data format) but I would like to cross plot it
    against some different weekly data I have in a excel chart with a weekly date
    basline.

    Example...

    My quarterly data set looks somthing like this.
    YearQuarter Data
    194701 100 <--Q1 Data
    194702 50 <--Q2 Data
    194703 200 <--Q3 Data
    194704 1000 <--Q4 Data

    This is what it should be after conversion macro is run.
    1-Jan-47 100 <-Start of Q1 Data
    8-Jan-47 100
    15-Jan-47 100
    22-Jan-47 100
    29-Jan-47 100
    5-Feb-47 100
    12-Feb-47 100
    19-Feb-47 100
    26-Feb-47 100
    5-Mar-47 100
    12-Mar-47 100
    19-Mar-47 100
    26-Mar-47 100
    2-Apr-47 50 <-- Start of Q2 Data
    9-Apr-47 50
    16-Apr-47 50
    23-Apr-47 50
    30-Apr-47 50
    7-May-47 50
    14-May-47 50
    21-May-47 50
    28-May-47 50
    4-Jun-47 50
    11-Jun-47 50
    18-Jun-47 50
    25-Jun-47 50
    2-Jul-47 200 <--Start of Q3 Data
    9-Jul-47 200
    16-Jul-47 200
    23-Jul-47 200
    30-Jul-47 200
    6-Aug-47 200
    13-Aug-47 200
    20-Aug-47 200
    27-Aug-47 200
    3-Sep-47 200
    10-Sep-47 200
    17-Sep-47 200
    24-Sep-47 200
    1-Oct-47 1000 <-- Start of Q4 Data
    8-Oct-47 1000
    15-Oct-47 1000
    22-Oct-47 1000
    29-Oct-47 1000
    5-Nov-47 1000
    12-Nov-47 1000
    19-Nov-47 1000
    26-Nov-47 1000
    3-Dec-47 1000
    10-Dec-47 1000
    17-Dec-47 1000
    24-Dec-47 1000
    31-Dec-47 1000

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Converting A Quarterly Dataset to Weekly Dataset

    Dan,

    Try this:

    Assume your quarterly data is A1:B4.

    In (for example) d1, type 01/01/1947 (to use your year) and format as
    date;in D2 downwards, type/copy down "=d1+7" until 31/12/1947 reached; this
    will give weekly dates.

    In E1 put "=indirect("B" & int((Month(D1)-1)/3)+1)" and copy this down to
    last non-blank cell of column D. This should give weekly data corresponding
    to the quarterly figures.

    HTH

  3. #3
    Dan Thompson
    Guest

    RE: Converting A Quarterly Dataset to Weekly Dataset

    Thank you Toppers that was helpfull and did sort of work
    Well it did work but threre is still a problem the example I gave you was
    only for one year worth of data when I use the same formula and fill down for
    10 years it recycles the values for the 4 quarters of the first year over and
    over again so I end up with somthing like this example. (Take Note of the
    1948 Values using your formula Then Scroll down and see the rest)

    Quarterly Data

    Date Data
    194701 100
    194702 50
    194703 200
    194704 1000
    194801 5
    194802 10
    194803 15
    194804 20

    Weekly Data After using your formula

    Date Data
    1-Jan-47 100
    8-Jan-47 100
    15-Jan-47 100
    22-Jan-47 100
    29-Jan-47 100
    5-Feb-47 100
    12-Feb-47 100
    19-Feb-47 100
    26-Feb-47 100
    5-Mar-47 100
    12-Mar-47 100
    19-Mar-47 100
    26-Mar-47 100
    2-Apr-47 50
    9-Apr-47 50
    16-Apr-47 50
    23-Apr-47 50
    30-Apr-47 50
    7-May-47 50
    14-May-47 50
    21-May-47 50
    28-May-47 50
    4-Jun-47 50
    11-Jun-47 50
    18-Jun-47 50
    25-Jun-47 50
    2-Jul-47 200
    9-Jul-47 200
    16-Jul-47 200
    23-Jul-47 200
    30-Jul-47 200
    6-Aug-47 200
    13-Aug-47 200
    20-Aug-47 200
    27-Aug-47 200
    3-Sep-47 200
    10-Sep-47 200
    17-Sep-47 200
    24-Sep-47 200
    1-Oct-47 1000
    8-Oct-47 1000
    15-Oct-47 1000
    22-Oct-47 1000
    29-Oct-47 1000
    5-Nov-47 1000
    12-Nov-47 1000
    19-Nov-47 1000
    26-Nov-47 1000
    3-Dec-47 1000
    10-Dec-47 1000
    17-Dec-47 1000
    24-Dec-47 1000
    31-Dec-47 1000
    7-Jan-48 100
    14-Jan-48 100
    21-Jan-48 100
    28-Jan-48 100
    4-Feb-48 100
    11-Feb-48 100
    18-Feb-48 100
    25-Feb-48 100
    3-Mar-48 100
    10-Mar-48 100
    17-Mar-48 100
    24-Mar-48 100
    31-Mar-48 100
    7-Apr-48 50
    14-Apr-48 50
    21-Apr-48 50
    28-Apr-48 50
    5-May-48 50
    12-May-48 50
    19-May-48 50
    26-May-48 50
    2-Jun-48 50
    9-Jun-48 50
    16-Jun-48 50
    23-Jun-48 50
    30-Jun-48 50
    7-Jul-48 200
    14-Jul-48 200
    21-Jul-48 200
    28-Jul-48 200
    4-Aug-48 200
    11-Aug-48 200
    18-Aug-48 200
    25-Aug-48 200
    1-Sep-48 200
    8-Sep-48 200
    15-Sep-48 200
    22-Sep-48 200
    29-Sep-48 200
    6-Oct-48 1000
    13-Oct-48 1000
    20-Oct-48 1000
    27-Oct-48 1000
    3-Nov-48 1000
    10-Nov-48 1000
    17-Nov-48 1000
    24-Nov-48 1000
    1-Dec-48 1000
    8-Dec-48 1000
    15-Dec-48 1000
    22-Dec-48 1000
    29-Dec-48 1000

    This is What it should look like ..

    1-Jan-47 100
    8-Jan-47 100
    15-Jan-47 100
    22-Jan-47 100
    29-Jan-47 100
    5-Feb-47 100
    12-Feb-47 100
    19-Feb-47 100
    26-Feb-47 100
    5-Mar-47 100
    12-Mar-47 100
    19-Mar-47 100
    26-Mar-47 100
    2-Apr-47 50
    9-Apr-47 50
    16-Apr-47 50
    23-Apr-47 50
    30-Apr-47 50
    7-May-47 50
    14-May-47 50
    21-May-47 50
    28-May-47 50
    4-Jun-47 50
    11-Jun-47 50
    18-Jun-47 50
    25-Jun-47 50
    2-Jul-47 200
    9-Jul-47 200
    16-Jul-47 200
    23-Jul-47 200
    30-Jul-47 200
    6-Aug-47 200
    13-Aug-47 200
    20-Aug-47 200
    27-Aug-47 200
    3-Sep-47 200
    10-Sep-47 200
    17-Sep-47 200
    24-Sep-47 200
    1-Oct-47 1000
    8-Oct-47 1000
    15-Oct-47 1000
    22-Oct-47 1000
    29-Oct-47 1000
    5-Nov-47 1000
    12-Nov-47 1000
    19-Nov-47 1000
    26-Nov-47 1000
    3-Dec-47 1000
    10-Dec-47 1000
    17-Dec-47 1000
    24-Dec-47 1000
    31-Dec-47 1000
    7-Jan-48 5
    14-Jan-48 5
    21-Jan-48 5
    28-Jan-48 5
    4-Feb-48 5
    11-Feb-48 5
    18-Feb-48 5
    25-Feb-48 5
    3-Mar-48 5
    10-Mar-48 5
    17-Mar-48 5
    24-Mar-48 5
    31-Mar-48 5
    7-Apr-48 10
    14-Apr-48 10
    21-Apr-48 10
    28-Apr-48 10
    5-May-48 10
    12-May-48 10
    19-May-48 10
    26-May-48 10
    2-Jun-48 10
    9-Jun-48 10
    16-Jun-48 10
    23-Jun-48 10
    30-Jun-48 10
    7-Jul-48 15
    14-Jul-48 15
    21-Jul-48 15
    28-Jul-48 15
    4-Aug-48 15
    11-Aug-48 15
    18-Aug-48 15
    25-Aug-48 15
    1-Sep-48 15
    8-Sep-48 15
    15-Sep-48 15
    22-Sep-48 15
    29-Sep-48 15
    6-Oct-48 20
    13-Oct-48 20
    20-Oct-48 20
    27-Oct-48 20
    3-Nov-48 20
    10-Nov-48 20
    17-Nov-48 20
    24-Nov-48 20
    1-Dec-48 20
    8-Dec-48 20
    15-Dec-48 20
    22-Dec-48 20
    29-Dec-48 20

    Perhaps the same formula just needs to be a little different I have to do
    this for all years from 1947 to current date. But would be nice to have
    somthing dynamic I can use for no matter what length of data set I apply it
    to.

    Any more thoughts ??

    Dan Thompson.

  4. #4
    Dan Thompson
    Guest

    RE: Converting A Quarterly Dataset to Weekly Dataset

    Im not sure if you got my reply to your reply but your formula worked
    unfortunatly my data set is more than just one year I need to be able to
    convert
    the data for several years and when I use your formula for more than one year
    I end up with the same data for each year. in other words the values for
    194701 100
    194702 50
    194703 200
    194704 1000

    end up being the same for 1948 1949 ect..

    do you know how to fix this ?

    Thanks in Advance
    Dan Thompson

  5. #5
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Converting A Quarterly Dataset to Weekly Dataset

    Dan,

    try:

    =INDIRECT("B"&INT((MONTH($D1)-1)/3)+1+(YEAR($D1)-1947)*4)

    Sorry about delay in reply .... time difference ... I have to sleep sometime!

    HTH

  6. #6
    Dan Thompson
    Guest

    RE: Converting A Quarterly Dataset to Weekly Dataset

    I don't know if you will recive this since I am reply sooooo late and I
    apologize
    as I haven't had a chance to get back to you till now but thank you very much
    your new formula works perfect