Making excel functional on computers without excel???

  1. #1

    Making excel functional on computers without excel???

    We have developed an excel based program for educators. The teacher would enter test data into a table. The data is then represented in a chart/graph showing a student profile. Depending on scores obtained, text automatically appears below the chart/graph explaining the charted results.

    Question: Many of our schools do not have MSExcel software package. Is there any way to program Excel, once loaded on a disk, to run and be manipulated on a computer that does not have MS Excel programming loaded? I once had a programmer develop an Access database that would run on any computer regardless of whether it had Access installed. It ran off the disk within the specific database program developed for me.

    I am not sure if I have been clear enough in my explanation and question. If you have a sense of what I am looking for, please respond. I would appreciate any leads or will clarify if necessary.

    Bill

  2. #2
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Making excel functional on computers without excel???

    Hi Billofsoo,

    Your users would need either a copy of Excel or another programme capable of
    reading/writing Excel files.

    One example of such an alternative programme would be the Open Office suite
    which is available as (60MB+) download at:

    http://www.openoffice.org/

    There is also a CD option.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    "billofsoo" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ben
    Guest

    RE: Making excel functional on computers without excel???

    you developer did it with Access most likely using the Access developer kit,
    which let him to distribute an Access app royalty free. But to my knowledge
    there isn't such a kit for Excel. You can, however, use a spreadsheet grid
    control, like the Calc Engine from infragistic to emulate Excel without the
    need for acquiring Excel licenses and it can be distiributed with your app.
    You just need to buy a copy of the control:

    http://www.infragistics.com/Products...alcEngine&ID=1

    Ben

  4. #4
    Ben
    Guest

    Re: Making excel functional on computers without excel???

    that's probably the best solution.

    Ben