"save as" macro help

  1. #1

    "save as" macro help

    I want to create a macro that has "save as" in it and automatically fills in the new file name by looking at the contents of a specific cell in the file.
    Is this possible?

  2. #2
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: "save as" macro help

    Hi Dyl,

    Try something like:
    '=========>>
    Public Sub Tester()
    Dim sStr As String

    sStr = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1"). _
    Range("A1").Value '<<===== CHANGE
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs sStr
    End Sub
    '<<=========

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: "save as" macro help

    Sure:
    Sub test()
    Dim FName
    FName = Cells(1, 1).Value
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=FName
    End Sub

  4. #4
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    RE: "save as" macro help

    Hi, Dyl,

    How about this as an example:

    Foldername is a cell on the worksheet containing the folder that you want to
    save to.
    WeekNumber is a cell containing the week number
    Year is a cell containing the year

    Sub SaveMe() '[Control]+[Shift]+V

    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    Set WeekNumber = Sheets("Database").Range("WeekNumber")
    Set Year = Sheets("Database").Range("Year")
    FolderName = Sheets("Database").Range("FolderName").Value
    SaveString = Year.Value & "-" & _
    Format(WeekNumber.Value, "00") & " " & "Consolidation.xls"
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=FolderName & SaveString, _
    FileFormat:=xlNormal, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", _
    ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False
    End Sub

    This code saves the active workbook in the format 2005-42 Consolidation.xls
    where the 2005 and 42 come from cells in the worksheet.
    I'm sure you can adapt this to your requirements.

    Regards

    Pete

  5. #5
    Curt
    Guest

    RE: "save as" macro help

    trying to save a workbook & all sheets useing file save as. missing something
    useing following..
    Answer = MsgBox(" Have you made a backup of this data?", vbYesNo)
    If Answer = vbNo Then
    fileSaveName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename( _
    fileFilter:="Text Files (*.txt), *.txt")
    If fileSaveName <> False Then
    MsgBox "Save as " & fileSaveName
    End If
    when it runs it does not save? it does bring up save as box
    duu lost Thanks

  6. #6
    Curt
    Guest

    RE: "save as" macro help

    want to use a macro to save and user input fname if ready to save othewise I
    have it go pass to do other function. got the go pass but don't get the save
    when looking where it was to go.??
    missing something. Used normal macro record to generate code. code as follows
    Answer = MsgBox(" Have you made a backup of this data?", vbYesNo)
    If Answer = vbNo Then
    fileSaveName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename( _
    fileFilter:="Text Files (*.txt), *.txt")
    If fileSaveName <> False Then
    MsgBox "Save as " & fileSaveName
    End If
    got me right now can't see it.