HELP: compile error message

  1. #1
    KevinGPO
    Guest

    HELP: compile error message

    This is referring to the Office Excel VB. Excel VB claims it is just like
    VB.

    I am wondering where on the internet how I can find out whether a function
    existed for a particular version of Office Excel VB?

    For example, I am using Office 2003 but my clients are using Office 95, or
    97. Am wondering whether the string function Left() & Right() existed in
    Office 95/97 Excel VB? If so, then does anyone have any ideas why VB threw a
    "Compile error: Can't find project or library" and it highlights Left(
    function line?

  2. #2
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: compile error message

    Hi Kevin,

    With the workbook in question active, run the problematic code

    When the code errors, go to the VBE and select the project in the Project
    Explorer window

    Hit the reset button and look at the Tools | References list

    Look for any references marked as "MISSING".

    Either uncheck the reference or, if the reference is needed, try the browse
    button to locate the library,

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    PBezucha
    Guest

    Re: compile error message

    Hi, Norman,
    Still, there must be something rotten in what Kevin has disclosed. I work
    with my rather sizeable project on different computers with different XLs
    implemented, but all of them 2k and higher. Sometimes, though rarely, when
    shifting computers with a programm debugged at another place, the compiler
    announces exactly the same error, invariably at one of the three string
    functions: Right($ - makes no difference), Left, Mid. After a while of
    patience (closing and opening XL several times) the it gets sensible.
    Strange, why just these old and ubiquitous functions are so touchy?
    Petr
    --
    Petr Bezucha

    Norman Jones pÃ*Å¡e:

  4. #4
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: compile error message

    Hi Petr,

    I do not know why one function rather than another is highlighted in the
    event of a missing reference.

    Rather than your suggestion of repeatedly closing and reopening Excel,
    others have suggested that qualifying the function with the application
    object helps.

    I believe in cures rather than palliatives, however, and I would, therefore,
    advocate that a broken reference should either be located or deleted.

    Of course, in the absence of a response from Kevin, it is not possible to
    confirm the original diagnosis.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman