Copy enabled / Pasted disabled

  1. #1
    Ben
    Guest

    Copy enabled / Pasted disabled

    Hi,
    I am using a workbook where I can copy/paste data from / to worksheet into
    the current workbook. But when trying to copy/paste data from this workbook
    to a worksheet in a different workbook, it won't let me paste (ie. Copy is OK
    but then Paste is disabled)
    Any idea what's going on? Any properties on the source workbook I should
    change?

    Problem shouldn't come from the target workbook as the operation is OK with
    2 blanks workbooks
    Thanks for your help
    Ben

  2. #2

    Re: Copy enabled / Pasted disabled

    Macros can kill the clipboard.

    Do you have any event macros that run after you do the copy?

  3. #3
    Ben
    Guest

    Re: Copy enabled / Pasted disabled

    l have a few macros on the spreadsheet but not any spefically killing the
    clipboard?
    How can I check the clipboard stack in VBA or more generally how can I force
    the clipboard to be active ? (weird though as I can copy but not paste)

  4. #4

    Re: Copy enabled / Pasted disabled

    There are things that macros do that kill the clipboard with the explicit:
    Application.cutcopymode = false
    line.

    If you have a macro that kills the clipboard when it runs and you don't want
    that to happen, then the only solution I know is to not run the macro.

    If you close excel and reopen in safe mode (disabling macros):

    Close excel
    windows start button|run
    type this and hit enter:
    excel /safe

    file|open yourworkbook.xls

    Then test it out. If you can copy|paste successfully, then I'd look at any
    events that could be running automatically.

    Close excel and reopen it normally.

    If this is a one time thing (or very rarely used), you can tell to stop looking
    for changes:

    Hit alt-f11 (to get to the VBE)
    hit ctrl-g (to see the immediate window)
    type this and hit enter:
    application.enableevents = false

    Back to excel and do what you want.

    When you're ready, toggle the events back on (= true).

    ======
    Any chance you're using an addin that breaks the copying?

  5. #5
    DataCollector
    Guest

    Re: Copy enabled / Pasted disabled

    Are your two workbooks open in same instance of Excel, or do you have
    two instances of Excel active?

    --
    DataCollector
    DataCollector's Profile: http://www.hightechtalks.com/m368