Type mismatch using rnge as Range with Type 8 Input Box

  1. #1
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Type mismatch using rnge as Range with Type 8 Input Box

    Thanks in advance for any and all help.

    I have been using the following code to paste formulas from one range to
    another.
    The range is highlighted and than the code shows an input box for a cell
    selection.

    Most of the time it works beautifully. Other times it gives a type mismatch
    on rnge and fails.

    I don't understand why one selection works and another doesn't. With or
    without Events enabled.
    A1 or R1C1 reference. (I primarily use this in one workbook from
    Personal.xls). All selections are similar in size and starting cell - just
    different rows.

    Using in XL 2k & XL 2003

    Dim rnge
    Set rnge = Nothing
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    On Error Resume Next
    Set rnge = Application.InputBox("Select Cell", Type:=8) <<< errors
    here
    On Error GoTo 0
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    If rnge Is Nothing Then
    Exit Sub
    <<< Exits here on error
    End If

    Selection.Copy
    rnge.Cells(1).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormulas

    Again - Thanks...
    --
    steveB

    Remove "AYN" from email to respond

  2. #2

    Re: Type mismatch using rnge as Range with Type 8 Input Box

    First thing I'd do is:

    Dim Rnge as Range

    But I'm not sure how you're getting errors in the middle of
    "on error resume next"

  3. #3
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Type mismatch using rnge as Range with Type 8 Input Box

    Your On Error should suppress the error. In the VBA Editor, go to
    the Tools menu, choose Options then the General tab. There, in
    the "Error Trapping" frame, ensure that "Break on all errors" is
    NOT selected.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

  4. #4
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: Type mismatch using rnge as Range with Type 8 Input Box

    Thanks for the prompt replies...

    Forgot to mention that I only saw the errors when I got rid of On Error goto
    0

    Also - Dim rnge
    Dim rnge as Range
    without - got type error.
    with - got Object required error.

    Yet when I select different rows it might work.

    --
    steveB

    Remove "AYN" from email to respond
    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Re: Type mismatch using rnge as Range with Type 8 Input Box

    You'll get an error if you hit the cancel button on that dialog. Are you sure
    you're selecting a range and hitting ok?

    If you are, how about posting exactly what you did (step by step)?

  6. #6
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: Type mismatch using rnge as Range with Type 8 Input Box

    Dave,

    Thanks for taking the time.

    The code was derived with recording and modification.
    And is several years old. And it is very basic code.
    Set range = selection
    Paste special to a single cell choosen with an Input box.
    Should be simple stuff...

    I also borrowed from previous code found on this site - primarily the range
    test for nothing.

    The way the code is supposed to work is:
    User selects a range of cells (generally several cells on a single row.
    User clicks on toolbar button to activate the code.
    The input box appears.
    The user selects a single cell for the destination.
    The code tests to see that the user has selected a range
    If the code sees a range - the first selected range is paste special
    formulas to the new range.

    Works most of the time. But with some rows it doesn't recognize the input
    box as a range or as an object (depending on my dim statement).

    Originally put in the On Error stuff to do what it is supposed to do - end
    the code on error.

    It is supposed to work just like:
    Highlight a range
    Edit > Copy
    Select a cell
    Edit > Paste Special = formulas

    Beats the heck out of me...

    And I look at formatting and sheet events and couldn't find anything to
    interfer.
    Works great doing it manually. But not with the code.

    Again - Thanks...
    --
    steveB

    Remove "AYN" from email to respond
    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Type mismatch using rnge as Range with Type 8 Input Box

    Steve,

    No guarantees on this one, but I seem to remember something similar.
    The solution (maybe) was to either use all named arguments or
    use all of the position commas (not a mix of both) so...
    Application.InputBox("Select Cell", , , , , , , 8)

    Regards,
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

  8. #8

    Re: Type mismatch using rnge as Range with Type 8 Input Box

    And it still blows up if you "dim rnge as range"???

    I couldn't break it.

    After the inputbox is showing, can you be more specific about what the user
    clicks on (or types???) to make it blow up?

  9. #9
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: Type mismatch using rnge as Range with Type 8 Input Box

    Jim and Dave - thanks for hanging in there with me on this supposedly simple
    macro...

    The problem might be related to the workbook and how it fits together. But
    I have stepped through the code and can't detect anything else happening.
    The code either recognizes the second cell as a range or it doesn't...

    Jim - tried using your version of the code line and behavior is the same.

    Dave:
    User selects range with mouse
    User clicks special toolbar button
    Input box appears
    User clicks on destination cell
    range.address appears on Input box
    either R5C6 or $F$5 (tried R1C1 and A1)
    User clicks "OK" in Input box dialog box.

    Either the paste happens or it doesn't.

    This should be the same as
    Select Range
    Edit > Copy
    Select a single cell

  10. #10

    Re: Type mismatch using rnge as Range with Type 8 Input Box

    I don't have another guess. I was hoping that something bad was happening when
    the user was selecting the range.

    If you copy just that little portion to another workbook (and declare all your
    variables <bg>), does it ever fail?

    I just don't see the problem.

  11. #11
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: Type mismatch using rnge as Range with Type 8 Input Box

    Dave,

    Your suspecion is probably right.
    The code is in Personal.xls and is available for any workbook.

    It only seems to have problems on one special workbook. But not on every
    selection.

    I have been looking for anything special about the offending selections but
    have been unable to see anything.

    The only problem is that when I step through the code there is no branching
    to another code or anything like that. So I have no idea of what is
    happening.

    I just tried it and disabled macros in the offending workbook and still got
    the problem.

    It's starting to look light Twilight Zone time...

    What makes it crazier is that it is a simple (silly) workbook that I use for
    my own pleasure (weekly) and am ashamed to share it with anyone.

    Thanks for trying...

  12. #12

    Re: Type mismatch using rnge as Range with Type 8 Input Box

    Silly guess #1. Maybe rebuilding that worksheet/workbook would help.

    Silly guess #2. Maybe running Rob Bovey's code cleaner would help.

    You can find it here:
    http://www.appspro.com/