Delete rows from a protected sheet (write macro)

  1. #1
    Matt
    Guest

    Delete rows from a protected sheet (write macro)

    I have a spreadsheet that I want to keep protected. Users are allowed to
    change values in certain cells. If need be, they can add a row or delete a
    row. I selected to allow this feature before I protected the sheet. The add
    row works fine. When a row or rows is/are selected and deleted, a message
    pops up indicating there are cells protected. I've written a macro that will
    disable the security, delete the rows, and enable the security again. Here
    is what I need help with: If the user has not selected at least one row, an
    error message will pop up directing the user to do so. Second (if possible)
    to make sure the is within a named range: I have named the range A3:A20
    "Name". If the row(s) selected does not fall in this range, I want the
    delete macro to do nothing or return a message that indicates "The row(s) you
    have selected is/are not available to be deleted".

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Delete rows from a protected sheet (write macro)

    Give this a look

    dim rngIntersect as range
    dim rngToDelete as range

    set rngtodelete = activecell.entirerow
    on error resume next
    set rngIntersect = intersect(rngtodelete,
    sheets("Sheet1").range("MyRangeName"))
    on error goto 0

    if rngintersect is nothing then
    msgbox "Sorry. Can't delete those rows."
    else
    rngtoDelete.delete
    endif

    This will work so long as the user has selected only one row or cell. This
    code only deletes the row of the active cell, not the entire selection.
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  3. #3
    Matt
    Guest

    RE: Delete rows from a protected sheet (write macro)

    Jim-
    Thanks.