Set range or named range?

  1. #1
    Ian
    Guest

    Set range or named range?

    I am creating a series of sheets where basic data is entered on a userform
    then ranges are copied from a lookup sheet are copied to a sheet to create a
    configured layout.

    To create the ranges I am currently using:
    Dim Intra_mA as Range
    Set Intra_mA = Worksheets("Lookup").Range("A13:F20")

    To copy the range I then use

    Intra_mA.Copy Worksheets("Dental").Range("A16")

    Would it be easier to create named ranges on the lookup sheet, and how would
    I then implement the copy routine?

    I am thinking this because I just came across an error in my original setup
    for one of the sheets which meant I had to insert another line into a range,
    thereby offsetting all the ranges below it.

    --
    Ian

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Set range or named range?

    Intra_mA.Copy Range("Destination")

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Set range or named range?

    So basically I'm doing away with my Dim & Set lines and leaving the Copy
    line the same. Easier to implement than I thought.

    Thanks, Tom.

    --
    Ian
    --
    news:%23rS34H0%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Set range or named range?

    Tom, I'm having difficulty with this. If I do away with the Dim & Set lines
    and leave the Copy line the same, I get a Run-time error '424': Object
    required. Am I missing something glaringly obvious?

    --
    Ian

  5. #5
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Set range or named range?

    Range("SrcRg").Copy Range("DestRg")

    should work. I don't usually do a Set of a range variable unless I'm going
    to use it several times.

    --
    Jim

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Set range or named range?

    I wasn't rewriting your code, only showing how to copy to a named range.

    Dim Intra_mA as Range
    'Worksheets("Dental").Range("A16").Name = "Destination"
    Set Intra_mA = Worksheets("Lookup").Range("A13:F20")
    Intra_mA.Copy worksheets("Dental").Range("Destination")

    this line
    Worksheets("Dental").Range("A16").Name = "Destination"

    just illustrates that at some point before using it, you need to define the
    named range "Destination". You can do it manually - one time - no code
    needed.

  7. #7
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Set range or named range?

    Soem of the ranges are being used several times (up to 6) and by defining
    the ranges, I keep the "working" part of the code more legible.

    --
    Ian
    --
    news:u$xRVB1%[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Set range or named range?

    I think we're talking at crossed purposes here. I was wanting to make the
    SOURCE ranges named, such that if I had to add something to the range, it
    wouldn't mean me having to rewrite a lot of code to go with it.

    In other words (using the example I gave), Intra_mA is currently a range on
    Lookup as defined in the Set line, but I wanted it to be a named range so
    that if for example I needed to add an extra row, I could do that on Lookup
    and redefine the named range, rather than having to go into the code.

    More importantly it would mean that the ranges below Intra_mA in Lookup
    would automatically update.

    --
    Ian
    --
    news:uSHIsL1%[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Set range or named range?

    Dim Intra_mA as Range
    With Worksheets("Lookup")
    Set Intra_mA = .Range(.Range("A13"), _
    .Range("A13").end(xldown)).Resize(,6)
    End With

    or if you did create a named range

    Set Intra_mA = Range("MyLookupRange")

  10. #10
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Set range or named range?

    Thanks, Tom. It's all working fine. I've created the named ranges manually
    and successfully copied them across with code. I took out the Dim line and
    it's still working well.

    --
    Ian
    --