Zipping a Protected Workbook

  1. #1
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    Zipping a Protected Workbook

    I have just run across something weird that I can not figure out. When I take
    any spreadsheet and protect the workbook with a password, save the file and
    close it It takes about twice as long to save it as it would if I had not
    protected the workbook. When I zip the file it only compresses about 10%
    where as the unprotected version compresses about 75%. I am using Excel 2000
    (9.0.6926 SP3). I am using WinZip version 10??? Has anyone else run across
    this behavior.
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Zipping a Protected Workbook

    Hi Jim

    This is a known problem with workbooks that are protected
    I see that WinZip 10 is not better (I think I not upgrade)

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Zipping a Protected Workbook

    Yes. The workbook is encrypted when you protect at workbook level. The
    encryption apparently does not provide the compressable patterns of an
    unencrypted workbook.

    Tom Ogilvy

  4. #4
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    Re: Zipping a Protected Workbook

    When did this start. I am sure that I used to be able to do this... Do you
    have a link to a description of the problem...
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  5. #5