excel web queries: make the box for the website name much longer

  1. #1
    susannah
    Guest

    excel web queries: make the box for the website name much longer

    excel web queries: make the box for the website name much longer;
    we need to be able to type in a webaddress that is long: the host name, the
    cgi, the program name, password and userid, and a bunch of parameters for the
    program. Excel says, when we try to edit our query, that the address is too
    long to edit; please make it longer. i can save the .iqy and edit it that
    way, but that's too hard for my end users. they need to be able to edit the
    page name right in the box under Edit Query.
    thanks.

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...el.programming

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: excel web queries: make the box for the website name much longer

    I would suggest that you record a macro while doing a simple change to the
    typed in url and then modify the resulting url in the macro for variables in
    your worksheet.
    this one happened to be for Morningstar.com

    "URL;http://yourwebsite.com/Stock/Income10.asp?Country=USA&Symbol=ibm&stocktab=finance"
    "URL;http://" & [a1] &
    ".com/Stock/Income10.asp?Country=USA&Symbol=ibm&stocktab=finance"
    where cell a1 would have had type in Morningstar.com

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...