HOW CAN I APPLY CONDITIONAL FORMATTING BASED TO AN ENTIRE ROW?

  1. #1
    James M
    Guest

    HOW CAN I APPLY CONDITIONAL FORMATTING BASED TO AN ENTIRE ROW?

    I have a reasonably large spreadsheet (about 2000 rows) and i need to format
    each row based on the value of a cell in a specific column.

    For example, if there is a "B" in Cell I20, I need to fill the whole of Row
    20 with the colour green. I then need to apply this to every row.

    Similarly if there is a different letter, I need to make the row a different
    colour...

    All help gratefully appreciated!

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: HOW CAN I APPLY CONDITIONAL FORMATTING BASED TO AN ENTIRE ROW?

    Assuming you have three or fewer conditions, then conditional formatting can
    handle this. In A20, for example, set the first CF to read 'formula is'
    =$I20="B".
    You can fill this across and down. Additional conditions can be applied
    just like normal.

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: HOW CAN I APPLY CONDITIONAL FORMATTING BASED TO AN ENTIRE ROW?

    If you have only 3 letters to react to, you can do this with conditional
    formatting.

    Select your row with the activecell in column A for instance.

    in conditional formatting, change Cell Value is to formula is, then enter a
    formula like

    So assume we have selected rows 1 to 100 and the active Cell is A1.

    =A1=$I1

    then click the format button and choose the pattern.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    James M
    Guest

    RE: HOW CAN I APPLY CONDITIONAL FORMATTING BASED TO AN ENTIRE ROW?

    Fantastic! I knew it had to be something simple.. If I have more conditions,
    do you have any ideas?

    Also, I know this odd but is there a way of doing this in reverse?... i.e.
    if it is green insert a "b"?

  5. #5
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: HOW CAN I APPLY CONDITIONAL FORMATTING BASED TO AN ENTIRE ROW?

    Some additional resources for conditional formatting:

    http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/conditional6.html

    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.....Download.html

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: HOW CAN I APPLY CONDITIONAL FORMATTING BASED TO AN ENTIRE ROW?

    sorry, formula should have been

    =$I1="B"
    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: HOW CAN I APPLY CONDITIONAL FORMATTING BASED TO AN ENTIRE ROW?

    You would need a macro to react to a color.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...