Unlocking a Project

  1. #1
    Ralph Heidecke
    Guest

    Unlocking a Project

    I've been asked to have a look at a Excel workbook created by a former
    employee that is used by a large number of people in my organization. There
    is no dcoumentation. Through the VBA editor I am unable to look at any
    macros the developed may have created but instaed get a popup message box
    that the Project is Locked and Unviewable. The developer told me he put no
    locks on the project other than what may have been available through an add
    in "ASAP Utilities". I downloaded this but it doesn't seem to make a
    difference nor can I find any menu item in ASAP related to Project
    locking/unlocking.

    Excel help hasn't provided much useful info either. If someone can at least
    direct me how to lock/unlock a project it would be a start.

    TIA

  2. #2
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    RE: Unlocking a Project

    There are commercial products available to do this. They cost money:

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/password.htm

    I'm not surprised that Excel Help doesn't provide any support here. My bank
    doesn't provide help on how to rob banks either.

    If and only if the former employee can prove he is the author then I'm
    willing to give it a shot. I believe I can manage but no guarantees. I will
    need, for example, the name of a private function, costomized module name(s),
    unusual variable name(s). Sufficient information to prove the source of the
    information is the author of the code. I suggest deleting all but one
    worksheet from a copy of the workbook and clearing it of data. Then emailing
    it to me.

    Remove "nospam" from the following email address:

    [email protected]

    Regards,
    Greg

  3. #3
    Andrew Richards
    Guest

    Re: Unlocking a Project

    Dear Ralph,

    Had a similar problem, found these links helpful.
    Kind Regards,
    http://www.hhdsoftware.com/

    http://www.schmittis-page.de/index.h...l/vba/t48e.htm
    Hope they help you out.

    Andrew Richards

    Gatton
    Australia

  4. #4
    Ralph Heidecke
    Guest

    Re: Unlocking a Project

    I have been in contact with the author Once I got a hold of him he was quite
    helpful.

    The solution was to remove disallow "share workbook" in the tools menu. Once
    that was done the "Project Locked" message box disappeared.