Cell of sheet Not accepting 32767 character

  1. #1

    Cell of sheet Not accepting 32767 character

    hi all,

    I am having problem related to excel sheet.
    Maximum character limit of cell in 32767. But when i try to add text
    containing those many character it is splitting some part into second
    cell.

    So my question is does it considering newline character as two
    chracters and counting limit along with that.

    Any help will be truely appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2

    Re: Cell of sheet Not accepting 32767 character

    If newline is just a line feed, then it's one character.
    If newline is carriage control then linefeed it's two characters.

    What did you use?

  3. #3

    Re: Cell of sheet Not accepting 32767 character

    Hi,
    thanks for your reply.
    I am using enter key to start new line means i am using new line and
    carriage return both.

    Bur then if that is case then it should not allow me to enter some more
    characters in same cell.

    When i copy past 32767 characters to cell it is not copying complete
    text.

    But then if after copy pasting i try to type remaining text in cell it
    is allowing me to type content into same cell until it reaches to
    32767.

    For more information on this issue, just type 'a' characters 32767
    number of times without any new line or any carraige return and then
    try to copy that text into excel sheet.

    You will notice that only 31767 charcters will get copied into cell.

    If you get any solution on this, please help me. This is very very
    argent for me as i have to do coding to store my text into two seperate
    cell depending on length of cell.

    Means in code what i am doing is taking first 32767 characters of text
    and storing that into first cell and then storing remaining charactesr
    into another cell.

    But as excel sheet is spliting 32767 characters itself into two
    seperate cell i am not able to find out solution for this.

    Any help will be truely appreciated.

    Thanks in Advance.

    Regards
    Archana.

  4. #4

    Re: Cell of sheet Not accepting 32767 character

    If you are using the enter key to create a new line within a cell in excel, then
    this is very unusual. The plain old enter key doesn't work that way in excel.

    I put
    =rept("a",32767)
    in A1 of a new worksheet
    I did edit|copy followed by edit|paste special|values

    Then I put
    =len(a1)
    in B1. It returned 32767.

    I started a new workbook.

    I went back to the original workbook and copied A1:B1 and pasted into sheet1 of
    the new workbook.

    Everything worked as expected. A1 contained 32767 and B1 returned that value.

    ======
    If you are copying from a different application and pasting into that cell, then
    you could be getting both CR's and LF's in that cell.

  5. #5

    Re: Cell of sheet Not accepting 32767 character

    Hi,

    thanks for your reply.

    but if i am copy pasting from somewhere else into excel worksheet, then
    at a time of getting length of that cell it should consider carraiage
    returns as well as line feed characters.

    And I tried with just typing character 'a' 32767 number of times in
    notepad without pressing any newline character.

    In this case also workbook not accepting those many charcters. I
    checked whether there is any newline charcater or not. But this text
    doesn't contains new line character.

    Ya you are right that if i try rept("a",32767) then it is filling cell
    properly but when i try to copy from notepad or word pad to excel cell,
    it is not working.

    Do you have any idea about this.

    Any help will be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

  6. #6

    Re: Cell of sheet Not accepting 32767 character

    I don't have another guess.

    Sorry.