subtotal based on ref no

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Guest

    subtotal based on ref no

    Excel 2003 and XP
    I have a spreadsheet that can't be changed so in a separate sheet I want to
    be able to create totals of variable ranges.
    Each range changes based on the reference no.

    Eg

    Ref Desc Value
    1.00 HOL <= = = this row is the header row and
    will be bold
    1.01 1st 10.00
    1.14 2nd 25.00

    SOME TEXT ON ROws which prevent me from using a Pivot table
    2.00 WORK <= = = this is also a header row and will be
    bold
    2.14 wed 105.20
    2.14.1 thurs 99.6

    The desired result is
    Ref Desc SubTotal
    1.00 HOL 35.00
    2.00 WORK 204.80

    The subtotal needs to be for each change in whole number to the left of the
    decimal point

    Any ideas

    Thanks

  2. #2
    David
    Guest

    RE: subtotal based on ref no

    Hi,
    If you can use another column, you can value the first digit, but this would
    also assume that the number is only 1 digit. In column D try:
    =VALUE(LEFT(A2,1)), which would give you a digit to subtotal on.

    --
    David

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Guest

    Re: subtotal based on ref no

    Thanks but the value can be anything

    Is there a way to only ref the whole number part i.e always round down in
    VBA?

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    David
    Guest

    Re: subtotal based on ref no

    Hi Again,
    Try this formula: =ROUNDDOWN(A2,0)
    --
    David

  5. #5
    Al Newbie
    Guest

    Re: subtotal based on ref no

    thanks but rounddown is not available in vba