Error 336

  1. #1
    SSaxman
    Guest

    Error 336

    I have a spreadsheet that I created in Excel 2003 on my work laptop. Within
    that spreadsheet I have a button that actiavtes a user form that I created
    in VBA (UserForm2). I had to switch computers yesterday because my other one
    crapped out on me. On the new computer (same OS and Office Version), when I
    open the spreadsheet and click the button to access the user form or if I try
    to edit the user
    form in VBA, I get an error message stating "Component not correctly
    registered." When I click 'Help,' it expands the error: "ActiveX Component
    not correctly registered (Error 336): The ActiveX component has not been
    properly registered in the system registry." I am pretty much a novice when
    it comes to VBA, having just recently gotten my feet wet. Can anyone please
    tell me how I can fix this problem? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Error 336

    Let's try the simplest first

    close excel.

    go to the windows temp directory and delete any files there and any
    subdirectories to the temp directory which relate to Excel or Office or VBA.

    Now

    Go to the Windows=>Run menu

    enter

    Excel.Exe /UnRegServer

    and click OK.

    then repeat with

    Excel.Exe /RegServer

    This should restore the Excel registry entries.

    Then start Excel in an in a new workbook, go to the VBE and do Insert
    Userform

    now in the VBE go to tools => References, you should have a reference to
    Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library

    If you do, then you should try opening your problematic workbook and see if
    it will work.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    SSaxman
    Guest

    Re: Error 336

    Tom,

    I read your directions completely before following them. I did everything
    you listed, and I did have a reference to the Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object
    Library, however, when I attempt to edit the user form or activate it from
    the spreadsheet, I continue to receive the same error message. Any other
    ideas?

    Thank you!

    Ty

  4. #4
    SSaxman
    Guest

    Re: Error 336

    Anyone have any ideas?

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Error 336

    Error 336 means:

    The ActiveX component has not been properly registered in the system
    registry.

    but you said it is properly registered.
    And if you successfully followed my instructions, then you were able to
    create a userform in a new workbook.

    Perhaps you have a non-msforms 2.0 control on your userform and that is what
    is not registered.

  6. #6
    Larry Shoots
    Guest

    Re: Error 336

    I am using Excel in Windows XP Professional. I created a macro program to
    print memo forms. I have two computers on a network. My laptop (hp Pavilion
    dv1150) and a slightly older Amdahl 600 Mhz Clone.
    I placed a copy of the Excel Worksheet which contained all the code onto my
    Amdahl. When I went to the Amdahl and attempted opening the program, I got
    the dreaded, "Object Library not registered". Then another window opened
    indicating that this error would be repaired. What it did was remove the
    entire code I had entered in VB.
    Fortunately, I had saved a copy of the code in a word document. I rewrote
    the code and tested it out on the laptop. It worked. Again, I copied it to
    the Amdahl. Again, I received the dreaded error. So, I'm going to try the
    recommendation you gave to Mr. Sussman. I hope it works. Why did this
    happen? Both computers have Office XP professional. Why is this happening?

  7. #7
    JTJams
    Guest

    Re: Error 336

    I have a similar problem with Excel 2003, although it is not related to a
    form and I currently do not have any Add-Ins selected. I believe it's
    related to my system's Visual Basic component registration, because
    "Microsoft Visual Basic" is displayed in the title bar of both the error:
    "336" and the error: "component not registered correctly." dialogues I
    experience on startup, shutdown, and when using keyboard
    shortcuts. If I use menu commands instead of the shortcuts, I do not
    experience the problem.

    I've installed the latest Office updates, but this doesn't appear to update
    or repair any VB files, and I think that's what is necessary. Any
    suggestions for repairing my system's Visual Basic files or component
    registration?

    Thank you, JT