Save a cell location and return to it

  1. #1
    Adam
    Guest

    Save a cell location and return to it

    How do I save a cells location in VB so I can chnge the active cell to
    another sheet and then return later on the the saved cells location.

    Thanks

    Adam

  2. #2
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Save a cell location and return to it

    Hi Adam,

    Try something like:

    '=============>>
    Public Sub Tester001()
    Dim rng As Range

    Set rng = ActiveCell

    'your code, e.g.:
    ActiveSheet.Next.Select

    Application.Goto rng

    End Sub
    '<<=============

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Adam
    Guest

    Re: Save a cell location and return to it

    Thanks Norman works well!

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Hi Norman,
    Would you dissect this line for me.

    ActiveSheet.Next.Select

    Is it saying on the next active sheet select?
    Application.Goto rng

    That line don't work for me. 'ActiveSheet.Next.Select'
    I get:
    'Object Variable or With Block Variable not set'
    But if i comment that line out it works.
    Thx
    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Jones
    Hi Adam,
    Try something like:
    '=============>>
    Public Sub Tester001()
    Dim rng As Range
    Set rng = ActiveCell
    'your code, e.g.:
    ActiveSheet.Next.Select
    Application.Goto rng
    End Sub
    '<<=============

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    "Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How do I save a cells location in VB so I can chnge the active cell to
    > another sheet and then return later on the the saved cells location.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Adam
    Thx
    Dave
    "The game is afoot Watson"

  5. #5
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Save a cell location and return to it

    Hi Dave,

    The instruction:

    > ActiveSheet.Next.Select

    selects (as you might intuitively anticipate) the next sheet.

    If, as I suspect in your case, the active sheet is the last sheet, then the
    expression will generate your encountered error.

    Of course, in real code, provision would be made to handle this eventuality
    but, here, the instruction was merely used to to effect an intentional
    change of selection and any other selection instruction might equally well
    have been used. The intention was merely to demonstrate the returm to a
    given location after an intervening selection.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    "Desert Piranha"

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Hi Norman,

    Thanks for the in depth explanation. I understand it now.
    You are correct in your suspicion, that the active sheet before that line, was the last one.

    Thanks again

  7. #7
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Save a cell location and return to it

    Hi Dave,

    The instruction:

    > ActiveSheet.Next.Select

    selects (as you might intuitively anticipate) the next sheet.

    If, as I suspect in your case, the active sheet is the last sheet, then the
    expression will generate your encountered error.

    Of course, in real code, provision would be made to handle this eventuality
    but, here, the instruction was merely used to to effect an intentional
    change of selection and any other selection instruction might equally well
    have been used. The intention was merely to demonstrate the return to a
    given location after an intervening selection.

    The following example uses ActiveSheet.Next to cycle through the sheets of
    the active workbbook and restart at the first sheet when the last sheet is
    reached:

    '=============>>
    Sub CycleSheets()
    With ActiveSheet
    IIf(.Index < Sheets.Count, .Next, Sheets(1)).Select
    End With
    End Sub
    '<<=============

    ---

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    Hi Norman,
    Thanks for the example.

> [...]

    > Thx
    > Dave
    >
    > Norman Jones Wrote:
    >> Hi Adam,
    >> Try something like:
    >> '=============>>
    >> Public Sub Tester001()
    >> Dim rng As Range
    >> Set rng = ActiveCell
    >> 'your code, e.g.:
    >> ActiveSheet.Next.Select
    >> Application.Goto rng
    >> End Sub
    >>
    >> ---
    >> Regards,
    >> Norman
    >>

    >> "Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > How do I save a cells location in VB so I can chnge the active cell

    >> > another sheet and then return later on the the saved cells location.

    Last edited by Desert Piranha; 01-17-2006 at 04:45 AM.