how to calculate time in a payroll worksheet

  1. #1
    Peekabeaux
    Guest

    how to calculate time in a payroll worksheet

    I am attempting to create a time card in which the user just types in the
    time they clock out and type in the time they clock out. At the end of the
    day I want to total number of hours worked. But when I use a time format,
    and enter 8 for 8:00 a.m, the value shows 1/8/1900 at 12:00 a.m.. How do I
    fix this so only the hours and minutes are shown and I can calculate the
    daily and weekly totals? I have tried downloading 2 different templates from
    Microsoft, but still shows the date. Please help.
    Oh yeah, while I'm asking :-), does anyone out there know how to insert a
    cell value in a header. I want to apply this to a template.
    Thanks,

    Peek

  2. #2
    Paul D.
    Guest

    RE: how to calculate time in a payroll worksheet

    If you are entering the times right into a worksheet, go to the DATA menu
    and try VALIDATION... or format the field to the time format you like.
    You must enter the time as an hour and minute separated by a ':'.
    8: however, will enter as 8:00.

    If you are entering the times into a userform, there are a couple options.

  3. #3
    PJF
    Guest

    Re: how to calculate time in a payroll worksheet

    Here's a crude way: Use 24-hour (Military) time to enter the start and end
    times. Be sure to insert a colon between hours and minutes. So, if an
    employee works 7AM to 3:30 PM, the entries would be 7:00 and 15:30,
    respectively. You can format the cells so that they display English time,
    i.e., 7:00 AM and 3:30 PM, respectively. So, if you put the start time in
    cell A1 and the end time in A2, you can use a simple subtraction formula in
    cell A3, formatting it as a simple number. It will display as a decimal.
    You must multiply the decimal by 24 in order to get a display of hours
    worked.

    So, the employee inserts :

    08:00 in cell A1 and will display as 8:00 AM
    15:30 in cell A2 and will display as 3:30 PM

    The total time worked is then calculated in A3 by the formula: =(A2-A1)*24
    and will display as 7.5. If you'd rather retain a time display in A3
    (7:30), change the format and delete the 24-hour multiplier.

    Hope this helps.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    PJF
    Guest

    Re: how to calculate time in a payroll worksheet -- CAUTION

    P.S. CAUTION: This will only work for shifts that do not cross midnight. If
    you have an 11 PM to 7 AM shift, this won't work. Will see if I can come up
    with a solution.

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Patrick Molloy
    Guest

    Re: how to calculate time in a payroll worksheet -- CAUTION

    remember that Excel saves time internally as teh decimal part of a day. So
    6AM is 0.25 and 12 noon is 0.5
    One check for times that roll to the next day would be to add '1' if the end
    time is earlier than the start time....1 of course is in Excel terms, 1 day,
    thus 24 hours.

  6. #6
    PJF
    Guest

    Re: how to calculate time in a payroll worksheet -- Shifts that cross midnight

    If your shifts cross midnight, you can use the following formula in A3:
    =IF(A2<A1,(1-A1)+A2,A2-A1).

  7. #7
    DaveP
    Guest

    Re: how to calculate time in a payroll worksheet

    Peek,

    Assuming you are working with values within the same day, you can enter
    clock in and out times as numbers (eg 800 for 8am, 830 for 8:30am etc)
    and then do a subtraction on the start and finish time using the
    following formula:

    A1 = 800, B1 = 1200, C1 =
    "=(REPLACE(B1,LEN(B1)-1,0,":")-(REPLACE(A1,LEN(A1)-1,0,":")))

    Then format C1 as "HH:MM"

    This would give a result of 4:00.

    HTH

    Dave

  8. #8
    TCrow2000
    Guest

    Re: how to calculate time in a payroll worksheet

    I ran into the same problem as you. I was trying to come up with a way
    to print out my schedule and taking it a step further, wanted to
    estimate how much my net pay would be. The formula I came up with with
    the result in cell A3 is:

    =IF((A2-A1)*24<0,((A2-A1)*24)+24,(A2-A1)*24)

    As in the other suggestions, you need to use military 24 hour time
    format to input the time.

    Hope it works for you.
    TCrow

  9. #9
    DaleP1
    Guest

    Re: how to calculate time in a payroll worksheet

    All the information in this thread is very helpful, I could use just a bit
    more help with this please. My time sheet is set up like the brief example
    below.

    A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 A6
    0600 1400 off off 0600 1400

    This sheet shows a schedule for each employee. on 1 line each for 2 weeks.
    I am not doing well at tying the previous examples into a working formula
    over a range of cells.
    I just want it to sum up the hours at the end of a row for each person.
    I sincerely appreciate any help Thanks

  10. #10
    ELIZE TALJAARD
    Guest

    Re: how to calculate time for a payroll sheet.

    My time sheet is set up like the brief example below:

    A B C D E
    1 DAY: DATE: TIME IN: TIME OUT: Total Hours:
    2 Thursday 1 11:12:00 01:58:00 = ?????-formula??
    3 Friday 2 10:44:00 17:43:00 = ?????-formula??

    I would like to know which formula to enter in F2, F3, etc. to be able to
    obtain the total hours worked per day.

    Help would be much appreciated. THANKS, ELIZE TALJAARD