Search Range for item in seperate range

  1. #1

    Search Range for item in seperate range

    Lets say in colums a1-c1 I have
    red blue orange

    then i columns L1-o1 I have
    pink blue purple

    I want to see if an any of the items in the first list match any item
    in the second list. I was trying an array formula like:

    =if( or(A1:C1 = $L$1-$O$1),"found","not found")

    The array formula seems to work if iI only search one range (i.e.
    A1=$l$1:$O$1) but I can't seem to find the trick for getting it to use
    both ranges. Any ideas?

    -Andrew V. Romero

  2. #2
    Mbt6
    Guest

    Re: Search Range for item in seperate range

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Lets say in colums a1-c1 I have
    > red blue orange
    >
    > then i columns L1-o1 I have
    > pink blue purple
    >
    > I want to see if an any of the items in the first list match any item
    > in the second list. I was trying an array formula like:
    >
    > =if( or(A1:C1 = $L$1-$O$1),"found","not found")
    >
    > The array formula seems to work if iI only search one range (i.e.
    > A1=$l$1:$O$1) but I can't seem to find the trick for getting it to use
    > both ranges. Any ideas?
    >
    > -Andrew V. Romero

    Perhaps not the best way

    1) You could create a cell in D1 that contains all of the data from A1
    through C1...something like
    2) =a1&"|"&b1&"|"&C1 (I put the &"|" to show as a separator, the
    concatinate formula works similar to this)
    3) Now do the same for L1-O1 in say column P(in this case l - o is 4 columns
    so it may not work, but in your example above your second list pink blue
    purple only had 3 items
    4) Then do a Vlookup from the data in D and compare against P, and copy
    down. If there is no match, the vlookup will return an "#n/a" error.

  3. #3

    Re: Search Range for item in seperate range

    How about:

    =IF(SUM(--(A1:C1=TRANSPOSE(L1:O1)))>0,"found one","nope")

    them yourself.)

  4. #4

    Re: Search Range for item in seperate range

    Thanks, this seems to work, however I can't say I understand the
    formula. I haven't seem the -- before, what does that do? So it looks
    like transpose is creating an array, how is checking the array
    different than simply checking a range such as L1:O1?

    -Andrew

  5. #5

    Re: Search Range for item in seperate range

    Wouldn't this require that the two list are exactly the same? In the
    above example, I only want to know if A1 thru c1 contains any of the
    items in list 2, so does A1 to c1 contain pink, or blue or purple? If
    yes, I want it to say found. I sort of found a work around, I can just
    type in a lot of OR statements and do
    =if( or(a1=$L1:$o$1,b1=$L1:$o$1,c1=$L1:$o$1),"Found","Not Found"), but
    in real life I would have to put in about 8 OR clauses, so it seems
    like there should be a shortcut.

    Thanks,
    Andrew V. Romero

  6. #6

    Re: Search Range for item in seperate range

    Thanks, that seems to work well, although I can't say I understand what
    it is doing. I am not familier with the -- notation, what is that for?
    ALso, how is comparing a range against an array different than
    comparing a range against a range? I don't see why it works if you
    convert it to an array.
    -Andrew V. Romero

  7. #7

    Re: Search Range for item in seperate range

    =IF(SUM(--(A1:C1=TRANSPOSE(L1:O1)))>0,"found one","nope")

    the -- converts true/false to 1/0.

    If you select (in the formula bar) A1:C1=TRANSPOSE(L1:O1)
    and hit the F9 button, you'll see how the helps do each comparison.