New to Events

  1. #1
    Jim May
    Guest

    New to Events

    By far the most recommended Reference for folks who write in an
    "need-to-know" more about events is

    I'm a bit confused as in the first 1-2 minutes it reads, as regards the
    Worksheet_Change event :
    Will not recognize entry of a date with a short-cut (Ctrl+, nor will it
    recognize a change by pasting a value.
    These 2 statements are completely false.. I'm sorry,
    it's a bit like saying "the emperor has no clothes" type of thing, and I
    mean no disrespect. But I for one am confused...
    Can someone straighten me out?
    TIA,

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: New to Events

    > These 2 statements are completely false..

    You are correct. The Change event does indeed trigger for pasted
    values (if the data was cut, no copied, Change fires twice on
    Paste, once for removing the original data and again for pasting
    in the new location). And it does indeed change with keyboard
    shortcuts.

    The Change event does not fire if the cell changes value as a
    result of a calculation or a real-time data feed.

    For more on events, see www.cpearson.com/excel/events.htm.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: New to Events

    Hi Jim,
    Sorry it was a mistake looks like some macro recording material got mixed in.

    the corrected paragraph now reads:
    A Worksheet_Change event: triggers when you change a cell (or range of
    cells) value manually or in a macro -- it will not be triggered from a change showing
    up in a formula or from a change of format. Your change macro might be used to
    automatically provide a date to another cell, , see autodate. [link].

    ---
    HTH,