Retain Format When Coping Visible Cells Only to New Worksheet

  1. #1
    Ronster
    Guest

    Retain Format When Coping Visible Cells Only to New Worksheet

    I have a spreadsheet with around 5000 rows and 100 columns. I hide
    rows and columns, do some filtering and subtotaling when creating
    different reports. I would like to be able to create a report, then
    copy only the visible cells and columns and paste theses to a new
    worksheet while maintaining the format. I can't get it to work. It
    seems the problem is since I'm not pasting the data to the same
    columns the formatting gets all messed up. Format Painter doesn't
    help. I have a macro that deletes all hidden rows and columns and it
    does maintain the formatting but it's too slow. Does anyone know of
    a way to do copy Visible Cells Only while maintaining the same format?

  2. #2

    Re: Retain Format When Coping Visible Cells Only to New Worksheet

    I put some test data in a worksheet, I applied data|filter autofilter, I added
    data|subtotals, I formatted a few cells (fill/font/bold).

    I hid some columns. I hid some rows using the outlining symbol to the left.

    I selected the range to copy.
    I hit Edit|Goto|Special|Visible cells only

    I pasted to a new sheet and both the values and formatting were pasted.

    The columnwidth's weren't pasted, though. But if you're using xl2k+, you could
    do edit|paste special|columnwidths to get that.

    I used xl2003 in my test. Does this work differently for you?

    If so, what version of excel are you using?

  3. #3
    Ronster
    Guest

    Re: Retain Format When Coping Visible Cells Only to New Worksheet

    I'm using xl2K and it doesn't work the same as yours. When I copy
    Visible Cells Only and paste them to a new WS ALL the columns and rows
    are the same and about 1/3 of the data is unreadable (requires
    resizing). I tried the edit|paste special|columnwidths but when
    pasting I get an error message saying the areas aren't the same size.
    It looks like it's time to upgrade to 2003 or use my slow delete hidden
    rows/columns macro.

  4. #4

    Re: Retain Format When Coping Visible Cells Only to New Worksheet

    Or just copy the columnwidths separately--or select the whole column(s) first
    (untested).

  5. #5
    Ronster
    Guest

    Re: Retain Format When Coping Visible Cells Only to New Worksheet

    The Paste Special ColumnWidths worked! First I create the report with
    all the hidden rows and columns with the formatting just the way I want
    it. I then create a new worksheet. After that I do the Edit, GoTo,
    Special, Visible Cells Only. I then switch to the new WS, location A1.
    I do the Paste Special Column Widths which reformats ALL the columns
    to the same size as the origianl. I then simple do a Paste which
    inserts all the visible data and any colored cells or other formatting
    that the other WS had. Works great! Thanks

  6. #6

    Re: Retain Format When Coping Visible Cells Only to New Worksheet

    Glad you got it working.