Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

[SOLVED] protecting macro code

  1. #1
    julian_m
    Guest

    [SOLVED] protecting macro code

    Yes, I know that this is a subject frecuently asked, in fact, i want to
    ask something related to a previous post

    from
    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ca7c178874a1d2

    >2. steve
    > Sep 17 2003, 3:24 pm show options
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.programming
    >From: "steve"
    >Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:22:13 -0700
    >Subject: Re: protecting excel macros from being changed/ seen by user>>

    >Jon,

    >Go to the VBE

    >From the Tools menu protect the project with a password and save.

    >The next time the workbook is opened it will require a password to view
    >the code.

    >But remember a serious "hacker" can get in...

    How can a "serious hacker" get the data? I mean, just playing a little
    bit with an hex editor or what?

    I used to program in Visual Basic years ago, and I remember that there
    were something called OCX controlls(compiled code), wich can be embebed
    into any MS office application. Are them still there in VB net?

    regards- jm

  2. #2
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: protecting macro code

    >>Go to the VBE

    >>From the Tools menu protect the project with a password and save.

    >>The next time the workbook is opened it will require a password to view
    >>the code.

    >>But remember a serious "hacker" can get in...

    > How can a "serious hacker" get the data? I mean, just playing a little
    > bit with an hex editor or what?

    Yes - easy to find the method with a little googling

    > I used to program in Visual Basic years ago, and I remember that there
    > were something called OCX controlls(compiled code), wich can be embebed
    > into any MS office application. Are them still there in VB net?

    In VB or VB.net you could wrap your code into a dll and use that from within
    Excel. That would be much more secure than VBA.

    Tim

  3. #3
    John Gunther
    Guest

    Re: protecting macro code

    Another possible solution: obfuscate (= replace with functionally
    equivalent, but very hard to understand) the VBA code within the
    workbook.

    Invisible Basic is an Excel Add-in for obfuscating the VBA code within
    Excel workbooks. Using its "Save Invisibly As" command, you can create
    a copy of your workbook whose code is obfuscated. That way, even if
    they crack your password, all they will see is really ugly,
    inscrutable, code.

    It's free and open source and available at:

    http://invisiblebasic.sourceforge.net/

    Creating a separately compiled component likely is more secure, but
    this approach is a lot easier (no separate compiler required). This is
    a relatively new Addin and I'd very much appreciate any feedback on the
    product the Excel/VBA brain trust associated with this newsgroup could
    provide.

    John

Closed Thread