Why does SUM not compute, even if the cells display numeric values

  1. #1
    George Furnell
    Guest

    Why does SUM not compute, even if the cells display numeric values

    Hi,
    My formula =SUM(Q13:Q14) returns 0, despite the fact that both cells
    contains numeric values. Could this be because both cells where populated
    with a function that returned a string?

    Hope you can help.

    Kind regards

    George Furnell

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Why does SUM not compute, even if the cells display numeric values

    <Could this be because both cells where populated with a function that
    returned a string?>

    Definitely. Use =VALUE(YourPresentFormula) instead

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: Why does SUM not compute, even if the cells display numeric values

    =SUM(Value(Q13:Q14)) Ctrl + Shift + Enter should work.
    Ken Johnson

  4. #4
    George Furnell
    Guest

    Re: Why does SUM not compute, even if the cells display numeric va

    > =SUM(Value(Q13:Q14)) Ctrl + Shift + Enter should work.
    > Ken Johnson

    Thank you for response, it worked. Please explain what the Ctrl+Shift+Enter
    keys do differently than just Enter?

    Regards

    George

  5. #5
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: Why does SUM not compute, even if the cells display numeric va

    Hi George,
    Glad I could help, thanks for the feedback.
    For the Value function to work on all the cells in the range Q13:Q14
    the formula has to be entered as an array formula. Ctrl + Shift + Enter
    achieves this. If you look in the Formula Bar after following that
    process you will see that the formula is inside braces
    ie {=SUM(VALUE(Q13:Q14))}. This makes it possible for you to determine
    which cells have array formulas.
    Ken Johnson