Change case on Entry

  1. #1

    Change case on Entry

    How can I change the case of text typed into a cell as soon as the cell loses its focus? Basically I have a sheet that requires one to enter names in a column, first and last. Upon exiting that cell (or it losing its focus), that data then gets used in the very next cell to generate a sring consisting of the first 2 letters of the first name and first 3 letters of the last name. What I need to do is make sure the case is proper before I use the data in the next cell.

    Correct input in A1: Jack Doppler
    Resulting text in A2: JaDop

    Wrong input in A1: jACk dOPplEr
    Resulting test in A2: JaDop

    Either I figure out a way to fix the text that they just typed in as soon as the cell loses its focus (preferred), or I fix the resulting string when it gets created, AND fix the text in A1 at the same time.

    For reference, cell A2 contains the following formula:
    ...which checks whether A1 is empty before doing anything. Then it creates the string.

  2. #2
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Change case on Entry

    Hi

    =IF(A1="","",LEFT(PROPER(A1),MIN(2,FIND(" ",A1)-1))&MID(PROPER(A1),FIND("
    ",A1)+1,3))

    The formula above works for cases the first name is 1 or 2 characters too,
    but does fail when a single name is in cell A1

    --
    Arvi Laanemets
    ( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<at>tarkon.ee )

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: Change case on Entry

    i fooled around a little with this, it may or may not do what you want.
    right click a sheet name and choose view code
    click the dropdown (general) and choose worksheet
    paste this on the selection change sheet between private sub and end sub.
    then type a name in column A

    Dim cell As Range
    If Target.Count = 1 Then

    For Each cell In Range("A:A")
    If cell.Value > "" Then
    If Not IsError(Application.Find(" ", cell.Value)) Then
    cell.Offset(0, 1).Value = Left(Application.Proper(cell.Value), 2) & _
    Mid(Application.Proper(cell.Value), Application.Find(" ", cell.Value) + _
    1, 3)
    Next

    Gary

  5. #5
    Aha! Thanks! It works... Now two things:

    1) I noticed it being a bit slow and I can only assume it's because it's running through the entire column each time one of the cells change. Is there a way to have it only affect the changd cell as opposed to scanning the whole column?

    2) I will also be entering data in the 3rd column which I'd also like to have .Proper run on. At the moment, the only way to do that is to run yet another For loop, just like yours, to do that. This adds to the time it takes updating the entire column.

    If there's a way to update and affect just the (current) changed cell, that'd be great. Suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keramidas

  6. #6
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Change case on Entry

    Hi

    Into free column (row1) enter the formula like
    =PROPER(A1)
    and copy down.
    Copy the range with formulas, right-click on A1, and select
    PasteSpecial>Values - OK.
    Delete the column with formulas.

    Modify the formula in column B, like
    =IF(A1="","",LEFT(A1,MIN(2,FIND(" ",A1)-1))&MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,3))
    (because you don't to use PROPER there anymore)

  7. #7
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: Change case on Entry

    see if this is any better. delete the other code or paste this over the top,
    don't keep both

    Option Explicit

    Dim cell As Range
    If Target.Count = 1 Then

    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A:A")) Is Nothing Then

    If Not IsError(Application.Find(" ", Target.Value)) Then
    Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = Left(Application.Proper(Target.Value), 2) & _
    Mid(Application.Proper(Target.Value), Application.Find(" ", Target.Value) +
    _
    1, 3)
    Target.Offset(0, 2).Value = Application.Proper(Target.Offset(0, 2).Value)

    Gary

  9. #9
    Ugh. This is driving me up the wall. I simply can't get it to work the way I'd like it to. All of the suggestions given here are all good, however they all work for the first step of the process. I need it to be expanded and optimized if you will. Right now it runs the entire course of a column (I think) and thus causes a delay when you type a name in and hit return.

    Picture 3 columns, D, E, and F, each one 30 rows (4:34). Column D will be used to enter a person's name. Column E will be used to programmatically generate a string consisting of 2 and 3 letters of their first and last name respectively. And Column F will be used to enter the name of that person's parents.

    When I enter a name in Column D, I want to run:
    That's it. Now, when I enter a name in Column F, I want to run:
    And that's it. One more step to finish it all. If I delete a name from Column D, I want to run:
    Basically, clear out the other two cells as well. All of this on a cell change I guess, which at the moment I've been trying to make work by having a Worksheet_Change() sub. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this at the same time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Edited to add: I think the fact that I'm trying to run Application.Proper on the cell causes it to consider it another change, and thus the whole thing repeats again .. and again .. and again ..
    Last edited by AMK4; 01-17-2006 at 09:00 PM.

  10. #10
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: Change case on Entry

    see if this works like you want, then i'll work on blanking out the entres

    Option Explicit

    Dim cell As Range

    If Target.Count = 1 Then

    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("D4:D34")) Is Nothing Then

    If Not IsError(Application.Find(" ", Target.Value)) Then
    Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = Left(Application.Proper(Target.Value), 2) & _
    Mid(Application.Proper(Target.Value), Application.Find(" ", Target.Value) +
    _
    1, 3)
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("f4:f34")) Is Nothing Then

  11. #11
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: Change case on Entry

    try this and see how it works for you:

    Option Explicit

    Dim cell As Range

    If Target.Count = 1 Then

    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("D4:D34")) Is Nothing Then

    If Not IsError(Application.Find(" ", Target.Value)) Then
    Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = Left(Application.Proper(Target.Value), 2) & _
    Mid(Application.Proper(Target.Value), Application.Find(" ", Target.Value) +
    _
    1, 3)
    ElseIf Target.Value = "" Then
    Range(Cells(Target.Row, "d"), Cells(Target.Row, "f")) = ""

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keramidas
    try this and see how it works for you:
    Garry,

    It works, except it doesn't run the Target cell through Application.Proper as well. And I think that's where the delay problem comes into play. Since a) I'm making a change by typing something in, and b) the macro itself makes a second change when it runs Proper on it. I don't know how to avoid that delay (or recursive loop if that's what it is.) But when I stick a MsgBox line in the If Then statement and run the macro, that MsgBox comes up a a whole lot more than those 30 rows before it finally quits (I stopped counting at 100 times)...

  13. #13
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: Change case on Entry

    don't know why it does that for data in column F. i don't see any slowdown,
    though, probably because i have an athlon64 x2. it seems to iterate 199
    times.
    tom or bob, or norman or one of those others may be able to shed some light
    on it.
    --

    Gary

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keramidas
    don't know why it does that for data in column F. i don't see any slowdown,
    though, probably because i have an athlon64 x2. it seems to iterate 199
    times.
    tom or bob, or norman or one of those others may be able to shed some light
    on it.
    Yes, entering data in column F will cause that iteration...for whatever reason. But that's not what I was talking about. I want to have the first Target cell (column D) to also have Application.Proper run on. And as soon as I add that extra bit in the If ... End If bit, I start getting iterations. And as you noticed, the same thing happens with column F.

    I hope someone has some way around this.

  15. #15
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Change case on Entry

    Hi AMK4,

    Try:

    On Error GoTo XIT
    Appplication.EnableEvents = False

    'Your code

    XIT:
    Appplication.EnableEvents = True

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

  16. #16
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Change case on Entry

    Hi AMK4.

    Appplication ===> Application

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  17. #17
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: Change case on Entry

    i never got iterations with any other part, only column F. everything worked
    here as you asked, but i didn't notice the extra iterations on my pc,
    because it happens so fast.

    --

    Gary

  18. #18
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: Change case on Entry

    and watch your p's and q's, norman <g>

    --

    Gary

  19. #19
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: Change case on Entry

    norman's tip seems to work here. thanks norman

    --

    Gary

  20. #20
    Norman? You're a genius! Works like a charm! (after the removal of stowaway p's)

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Jones