Control Toolbox does not appear when trying to design a Userform!

  1. #1

    Control Toolbox does not appear when trying to design a Userform!

    Hi people -

    I am trying to design a Userform in Visual Basic Editor in Excel 2002,
    and I can't get the control toolbox to show up (making my userform
    rather useless).

    Anyone have any tips? I read something on MSDN about an MS Access bug
    where the Toolbox is off the viewable area and you can use VBA to
    re-center it... but I can't seem to get this to work in Excel.

    Help!

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Control Toolbox does not appear when trying to design a Userform!

    could it be as simple as going into the View menu in VBA and clicking on the
    toolbox entry. This toggles the toolbox on and off. Also there is an icon
    next to the object browser icon that does the same thing.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Control Toolbox does not appear when trying to design a Userform!

    Just to add, the userform has to have the focus for the two toggle options I
    described to be active.

  4. #4

    Re: Control Toolbox does not appear when trying to design a Userform!

    Hi Tom -

    THanks for your suggestion. However, the state of the toggle switches
    between active/inactive, but the toolbox doen't show up on the screen.
    It seems to be out of the viewable area. Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    Aubain

  5. #5

    Re: Control Toolbox does not appear when trying to design a Userform!

    I had a similar problem a little while ago. The toolbox would appear, but all
    the icons were missing.

    I got this message from Rob Bovey:

    > With Excel shut down, search your hard disk(s) for a file called
    > Excel.box (it's the VBE toolbox equivalent of an Excel .xlb file). Delete it
    > and then restart Excel. That may do the trick.

    And this message from Tom Ogilvy:

    > It appears to be just a special multipage control.
    >
    > If you right click above the tabs, you get a shortcut menu that allows you
    > to add and delete pages.
    >
    > If you right click on one of the tabs, you get the additional controls popup
    > menu. Select that and just click the controls you want on the tab/page.

    I believe I did a little of Tom's suggestion, until I broke down and just did
    them all at once with Rob's suggestion.

    (It scared the heck out of me!)

    =======
    You may want to rename excel.box to excel.boxOLD--just in case this doesn't help
    and you want to get it back.

  6. #6

    Re: Control Toolbox does not appear when trying to design a Userform!

    Dave -

    Unfortunately there is no file called "excel.box" on my computer!!
    Also, I uninstalled Office 2002 and upgraded to 2003... and the problem
    persists! The toolbox refuses to show itself no matter what I do.

    -Aubain

  7. #7

    Re: Control Toolbox does not appear when trying to design a Userform!

    Maybe it was hidden so search didn't find it???

    mine (also xl2003) is in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms

  8. #8

    Re: Control Toolbox does not appear when trying to design a Userform!

    Hi Dave -

    Yes, it was indeed a hidden file that I failed to find the first time
    around (that should teach me for rushing through things).

    I deleted the file, restarted excel and it still didn't work! I've
    tried re-positioning the toolbox via the immediate window in the
    following way (adapted from someone's query about an MS Access toolbox
    problem):

    application.vbe.commandbars("toolbox").left = 100
    application.vbe.commandbars("toolbox").top = 100

    that doesn't work either... I'll try to reboot and see what happens.

    Thanks for the help!

  9. #9
    Forum Expert
    Newcastle, England
    MS-Off Ver
    2003 & 2013
    Posts
    1,986

    Re: Control Toolbox does not appear when trying to design a Userform!

    Sorry for resurrecting a (very) old thread however I've just had this problem and none of the proposed solutions worked. I then realised that whenever I toggled it on/off a small patch of my windows toolbar at the foot of the screen changed slightly. I unlocked the toolbar moved it to the side and voila! there was the top of the toolbox, a quick drag up onto the screen and all is good with the world again!

    EDIT: However, everytime the toolbox loses focus it drops back down to the bottom of the screen! (irritating!)

    Just for anyone else who googles it and finds this thread
    Last edited by pjwhitfield; 01-31-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    If someone has helped you then please add to their Reputation