[SOLVED] How parse out characters from long string?

  1. #1
    Chet
    Guest

    [SOLVED] How parse out characters from long string?

    Am having problems parsing out characters from a long string I have
    many rows of. The data looks like 215781507021 and the problem is that
    the Excel keeps converting the data to the scientific notation format
    (example 2.15782E+11) when I use the mid( ) function to take the
    selected characters that I want. What am I doing wrong? I even tried
    using the cstr() command to change the format to 'text' but I still
    keep getting just the n-th characters from the scientific notation
    version of the number.

    Thanks,
    Chet

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: How parse out characters from long string?

    Use the Format function to get the correct numeric string, then
    use your Mid command on that. E.g.,

    Debug.Print Mid(Format(Range("A1"), "0"), 1, 4)

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Chet
    Guest

    Re: How parse out characters from long string?

    Thanks very much !.... Chet