Easy one? Is there a "When" like argument?

  1. #1

    Easy one? Is there a "When" like argument?

    Here is an easy one for someone smarter than I: If Cell A1=2 and Cell B1=2 and Cell C1=A1+B1, currently equally 4. I am trying to find or create a formula in Cell D1 that would argue:D1=WHEN(A1=10,C1=12) I am trying to get a 12 kicked out in the above scenario. This is similar to an IF statement, but if you plug IF in we know it will return a false value. Any ideas or solutions?

  2. #2
    Martin Fishlock
    Guest

    RE: Easy one? Is there a "When" like argument?

    try in d1: =if(and(a1=10,c1=12),12,"some other item")
    --
    HTHs Martin

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Easy one? Is there a "When" like argument?

    How about

    =IF(OR(A1=10,C1=12),...

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Thanks for the responses, but both replies override the computation in C1. To clarify: I am trying to do a virtual array without physically changing the table. C1 should always equal A1+B1, it's just that I am trying to temporarily plug a different value in A1 and find out temporarily what C1 would compute. I have a sheet that has over 30,000 programed cells and I do not want to write parrelel pages to run this rather simple type of equation.

  5. #5
    JakeyC
    Guest

    Re: Easy one? Is there a "When" like argument?

    Take a look at the Solver feature which may be of use here.

  6. #6
    Some more clarification: A1 always equals 2, B1 always equals 2, C1 always equals (A1+B1) Here is the corected qustion D1 is asking: D1=C1 WHEN(A1=E1). E1 is a typed in value that could be changed, thus D1 would spit out a different number. If E1=10, then accordingly you would get 12. The reason I say A1 always equals 2 is because that is a chart and I do not want to change the chart. D1 is simply asking "if it were changed, what would C1 be", without actually changing the chart. The chart would still use all of it's formulas as it normally would do. The "10" in the formula for D1 would be E1, so if someone pluged in a 100 for E1, this D1 would return 102. Hope this helps.