Smileys in Excel

  1. #1

    Lightbulb Smileys in Excel

    Hi all,

    Is is possible to find the ASCII characters in excel for a perticular character?

    I mean to say that, I need to insert a smiley in excel. I need this and in excel. If I need a happy smiley, I can as well use ALT+1. But if I need a sad one, I am not able to find it. Is there any combination of characters which can give me that or is there a way to find it.

    Thanks in advance,
    Praveen

  2. #2
    somethinglikeant
    Guest

    Re: Smileys in Excel

    Praveen

    You might find the excel functions =code and =char useful on this,
    and concatenate as you require,

    can't think for what purpose you need to know this for though...

    or do you refer to shortcut keys?

    somethinglikeant

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Smileys in Excel

    In excel 2002 and later (perhaps xl2000), do Insert=>Symbol

    in all versions of windows, there is also a character map utilitily in
    accessories.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Smileys in Excel

    Hi,

    If you format the cell with the Wingdings font you can use JKL to give
    you smileys from happy thru sad.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  5. #5
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: Smileys in Excel

    "Andy Pope" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
    news:[email protected]...

    > If you format the cell with the Wingdings font you can use JKL to give
    > you smileys from happy thru sad.

    Hi Andy

    I use JKLM and even JKLMN in a few apps,these are powerful scales and easy
    to make with =CHAR(74 + sum of unwanted points).

    Best wishes Harald

  6. #6
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Smileys in Excel

    Hi Harald,

    I think a report with ratings using the M and N smileys would certainly
    attract the readers attention!

    BTW love your spam email addy

    Cheers
    Andy

  7. #7

    Unhappy Re:

    Sorry All,

    With all the above suggestions, I could not get the resolution for my question. I ll let you know the reason. I am creating a test and when someone enters a right answer, I need a happy smiley and sad if wrong. For happy smiley, I can as well go to the cell and press ALT+1 which gives a happy smiley. Now what do I do for a sad one? Changing the format of the cell is no meaning as it makes the work cumbersome.

    Please help.
    Thanks,
    Praveen

  8. #8
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Smileys in Excel

    Enter this formula in to B1 and format the cell with the wingdings font.

    =IF(A1=1,"J","L")

    If you enter a 1 in cell A1 you should get your smiley face.

    Hopefully you can apply this to your test.

    Cheers
    Andy