Expose macros with add-in

  1. #1
    Dave Stice
    Guest

    Expose macros with add-in

    Hello. I just joined this forum, so hopefully I won't ask any questions that
    are too ignorant. I did a search on the subject and couldn't find what I
    needed. Here is my problem:

    I created a macro that I would like to be accessible to many users (Excel
    2000). I'm also expecting that more bells and whistles will be added at a
    later date, so I want to be able to update the macro from one central
    location. Rather than go with the personnel.xls approach (which seems to
    have many drawbacks), I saved the workbook as an add-in. I then went to the
    add-in manager in a new workbook and selected the add-in I created. But when
    I go to Tools, Macro, Macros..., the macro I created is not there under any
    of the "Macros in" dropdown. Yet if I go to the Visual Basic Editor, it is
    there exactly as created as a .xla file. So how do my users get to the
    subroutines in the xla? They are public.

    Dave

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Expose macros with add-in

    Why not add a tool bar or menu option. The addin can create those and it
    provides a simple interface for the users. I can send you an addin that I
    have if you need and example...

    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  3. #3
    Dave Stice
    Guest

    RE: Expose macros with add-in

    Jim Thomlinson wrote:
    >Why not add a tool bar or menu option. The addin can create those and it
    >provides a simple interface for the users. I can send you an addin that I
    >have if you need and example...
    >
    >> Hello. I just joined this forum, so hopefully I won't ask any questions that
    >> are too ignorant. I did a search on the subject and couldn't find what I

    >[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
    >>
    >> Dave

    I tried that unsucessfully. I put a Private Sub Workbook_Open() routine in
    the add-in, but it never fired (I put in a msgbox to show me if it executed).
    Yes, I would love to see how you did it!

    Thanks, Dave

  4. #4
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Expose macros with add-in

    The Email in your user profile is not valid... @uwe.com or @uwe.org or ???
    You can send me an email or just give me some indication what your e-mail is.
    Don't post your exact e-mail address in the forum unless you are a fan of
    Spam...
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  5. #5
    Dave Stice
    Guest

    RE: Expose macros with add-in

    Jim , I checked my user profile and the email is correct. Not sure what's
    going on there but I don't have anything close to @uwe in my domain name.
    Being totally new to this forum, how do I email you? Or could you just paste
    in the code?

    I don't think it's a problem of VBA code to create a tool bar or menu option
    as any code in my add-in is not getting executed at all. Do I have the wrong
    name for the Workbook_Open routine? Or is it the fact that the routine is
    part of the add-in and needs to be in the parent worksheet? Then I'm back to
    modifying personal.xls.

    Dave

  6. #6
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Expose macros with add-in

    [email protected]

    When you make a post your name is dispalued at the top in blue. If you click
    on that you can see your profile...
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  7. #7
    Dave Stice via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    RE: Expose macros with add-in

    Jim, I wanted to let you know that I got the problem worked out with your
    help. I was using Workbook_Open instead of Auto_Open. The sample code I
    copied (from the unreliable source of the Microsoft web site) used
    Workbook_Open in their example, so I naturally assumed it would work.
    Everything works great!

    Thanks, Dave S.