If function?

  1. #1
    Paul
    Guest

    If function?

    Newbie question...I'm looking for the formula that will report the value that
    I want in column B. I guess wildcards must nbe used. I tried =IF (A1 =
    "*Catalog*", "Catalog", IF(A1 = "*Stock*", "Stock"))

    A B
    Stock - Rock Stock
    Catalog - Indie Catalog
    Catalog - Rock Catalog
    Stock - Indie Stock

    Thanks for your help.

    Paul

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: If function?

    Try

    =IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*stock*"),"stock","no stock")

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: If function?

    =if(countif(A1,"*Catalog*"),"Catalog",if(countif(A1,"*Stock*"),"Stock","not
    found"))

    Tom Ogilvy

  4. #4
    Paul
    Guest

    Re: If function?

    Thanks chips, but what happens with my other variable?

  5. #5
    Rajah
    Guest

    Re: If function?

    If you want to extract the leftmost part, before the dash, you might
    try these two functions.

    in B1:
    =SEARCH(" - ", A1)

    That puts a 6 in B1, which is the position of the dash.

    in C1:
    =LEFT(A1, B1)

    That puts "Stock" in C1, which is the leftmost portion of A1 until the
    dash.

    (When you're happy with the first line, you should copy these to the
    second and subsequent lines with the Fill Down command.)

    You may also combine these into one nested function:
    =LEFT(A1, SEARCH(" - ", A1))

    The way you can find these nifty functions is clicking on the "fx"
    probably above the "B" column header. You can enter a description of
    what you're looking for or just pick the Text category.

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: If function?

    =IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*stock*"),"stock",IF("COUNTIF(A1,"*catalog*"),"Catalog","Nei
    ther"))

    Bob Phillips