Compile Error: Loop without Do

  1. #1

    Compile Error: Loop without Do

    I keep getting the following error "Compile Error: Loop without Do"

    I am checking to see if A13 is empty if it is then enter the value in txtorganization in cell A13 then end loop else increase cellposition by 1 and repeat the process...

    any ideas how to solve this error??

    Private Sub cmdInsert_Click()
    Dim CellPosition, counter

    counter = 1
    CellPosition = a13
    Do While counter <= 10
    If [CellPosition].Value = " " Then
    [CellPosition].Value = txtOrganization.Value
    Exit Do
    Else
    CellPosition = a13 + 1
    counter = counter + 1
    Loop
    End Sub

  2. #2
    Charlie
    Guest

    RE: Compile Error: Loop without Do

    Need an "End If" statement before the "Loop" statement

  3. #3
    George Nicholson
    Guest

    Re: Compile Error: Loop without Do

    The problem is that your If...Else doesn't have the mandatory End If.

    When the compiler encounters "Loop" before the expected EndIf, it causes the
    error you describe, although the message is a bit misleading, it does point
    in the correct general direction (something missing regarding the loop
    itself or within the loop).

    HTH,
    --
    George Nicholson

    Remove 'Junk' from return address.

    "cedtech23" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Compile Error: Loop without Do

    This should run. I don't know if it does exactly what you want, but it will
    at least compile and run. Always check you "if" and "end if" and indent your
    code for readability.

    Private Sub cmdInsert_Click()
    Dim CellPosition As Range
    Dim counter As Integer

    counter = 1
    Set CellPosition = Range("a13")
    Do While counter <= 10
    If CellPosition.Value = " " Then
    CellPosition.Value = txtOrganization.Value
    Exit Do
    Else
    Set CellPosition = CellPosition.Offset(1, 0)
    counter = counter + 1
    End If
    Loop
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  5. #5
    does "Set CellPosition = CellPosition.Offset(1, 0)"

    increase the cell by one??

  6. #6
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    Re: Compile Error: Loop without Do

    Exactly... I made the variable into a range object. It is (kind of) similar
    to the active cell. You need to use the set statement to move it around...
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  7. #7

    Question Module1 Run-Time error: ‘424’ object required

    I placed my code in module1 and I get the following error “Run-Time error: ‘424’ object required” when I click on debug it brings me to

    “CellPosition.Value = txtOrganization.Value & " " & txtPosition.Value”

    I don’t know what wrong because when I run it under Private Sub cmdInsert_Click()
    It works great. What am I missing??

    In Module 1 I have

  8. #8
    Not a problem but then I am lost because I have several txtboxes that I have to test if the cell is blank and input data if so. Example

    Test if A13 is blank if so input the vlaue in txtposition in that cell (I did that with the code below)

    Test if C13 is blank if so input the values in txtStartMonth and txtStartYear in cell C13

    Test if D13 is blank if so input the values in txtEndMonth and txtEndYear in cell D13

    I know how to do this for one cell but I am lost on how to bring it call toegether for all my cell?? Some guidance would be helpful…

  9. #9
    Edward Ulle
    Guest

    Re: Compile Error: Loop without Do

    cedtech23,

    It seems to me you moved the code from the cmdInsert_Click method of a
    control to a new module.

    Assuming cmdInsert_Click is associated with UserForm1 simple preceed
    with the control for example.

    CellPosition.Value = UserForm1.txtOrganization.Value & " " &
    UserForm1.txtPosition.Value

  10. #10

    Talking

    Thanks Edward Ulle