Copy value until next value

  1. #1
    ewan7279
    Guest

    Copy value until next value

    Hi,

    I am trying to write a code that will copy the contents of a cell - a month
    - into all subsequent empty cells, unless another month is encountered. I
    then want this new month to be copied into subsequent empty cells, until
    another month is encountered. And so on. This will occur in one column only.

    Reason: I have a spreadsheet that varies in size and format apart from one
    column. The column contains one reference only per month's worth of line
    items that follow. The line items do not contain any reference to the month
    that they relate to. I am trying to write a code that will copy the only
    reference of the month into every row that contains a line item for that
    month, and repeat this for however many months there may be.

    This is what I have so far, but it does not work:

    Sub Month_copy

    Dim CURRPERIOD As String
    Dim CELL As Range, RNG As Range
    With ActiveSheet
    Set RNG = .Range(.Range("A1:a10000"), .Range("A1:A10000").End(xlDown))
    End With

    For Each CELL In RNG
    CURRPERIOD = ActiveCell.Value
    If ActiveCell = "" Then
    ActiveCell.Value = CURRPERIOD
    Else
    CURRPERIOD = ActiveCell.Value
    End If
    Next
    End sub

    What I am trying to say is if the cell is blank, paste in the current month
    value and move onto the next. If it is not blank, it must be a month
    reference, therefore copy this into the subsequent blank cells.

    Thanks in advance for any help received. (Hope this makes sense)

    Ewan.

  2. #2
    Glen
    Guest

    Re: Copy value until next value

    For Each CELL In RNG
    CURRPERIOD = ActiveCell.Value
    If ActiveCell = "" Then
    ActiveCell.Value = CURRPERIOD
    Else
    CURRPERIOD = ActiveCell.Value
    End If
    Next
    This isn't working because you're setting CURRPERIOD to active cell and
    then you check active cell try this:

    'assuming the first active cell has a value
    CURRPERIOD = ActiveCell.Value
    range(next cell).select
    For each CELL in RNG
    If ActiveCell = CURRPER1 then
    range(next cell).select
    Elseif ActiveCell = "" then
    Activecell = CURRPERIOD
    range(next cell).select
    Else

  3. #3
    ewan7279
    Guest

    Re: Copy value until next value

    Glen,

    Sorry, but this does not compile. Is "range(next cell).select" literal?

  4. #4
    Glen
    Guest

    Re: Copy value until next value

    no - you have to name whatever the next cell is. I am sorry for that.
    The format should be Range("A1").select if A! is the cell you want.
    You can also name it dynamically like this
    dim cellnum as integer
    cellnum = 1
    Range("A" & cellnum & "").select

    HTH

  5. #5
    I don understand how you are setting RNG. But once that is done you could just as well use good old fassion Offset(-1, 0).Value

    For Each CELL In RNG
    If CELL.Value = "" Then CELL.Value = CELL.Offset(-1, 0).Value
    Next

    Or something like:

    Sub Month_copy()

    Dim CURRPERIOD As String
    Dim CELL As Range, StartCell As Range, RNG As Range
    With ActiveSheet
    If IsEmpty(.Range("A1")) Then
    Set StartCell = .Range("A1").End(xlDown)
    Else
    Set StartCell = .Range("A1")
    End If
    Set RNG = .Range(StartCell, .Range("A10000").End(xlUp))
    End With
    'MsgBox (RNG.Address)

  6. #6
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Copy value until next value

    Ewan,

    Don't loop:

    Sub Month_copy2()

    With Range("A:A")
    .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).FormulaR1C1 = "=R[-1]C"
    .Copy
    .PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
    End With

    End sub

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Glen
    Guest

    Re: Copy value until next value

    Very good point "pointless" - isn't that ironic.

  8. #8
    ewan7279
    Guest

    Re: Copy value until next value

    Sorry Glen, I don't understand.

    I'm trying to make each empty cell in the range A1:A10000 the value of the
    variable CURRPERIOD. I thought the For Each loop would cycle through all
    cells in the range and change their value to CURRPERIOD, with CURRPERIOD only
    changing if a non-blank cell is activated i.e. if the cell contains a month?

  9. #9
    ewan7279
    Guest

    Re: Copy value until next value

    Thanks Bernie,

    The code only copies up to the next month, but not the last month itself
    i.e. April copies up to May, May up to June, but June does not copy any
    further. I need the month to copy down for every subsequent line item. Can
    you help please?

  10. #10
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Copy value until next value

    If it needs to match the data in column B, then you could use

    With Range("A2:A" &Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row)

  11. #11
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Copy value until next value

    The only reason it would do what you describe is if you are testing it on a
    dummy sheet you set up for testing and there is no data beyond the row that
    contains June. If you put data in any other column that extends beyond the
    row with June, then this will fill down to that row.

    Tom Ogilvy

  12. #12
    ewan7279
    Guest

    Re: Copy value until next value

    Hi Tom - you were right about me using a test sheet.

    I'm not really sure what the macro that Bernie described does i.e. how it
    works, but I've just tried it on 'live' data and it doesn't work at all, even
    to the same level as on the test sheet. I'm really stuck...

  13. #13
    ewan7279
    Guest

    Re: Copy value until next value

    I have just cleared the contents of some of the apparently blank cells in the
    live data and the macro now works. Any ideas why this would be please? It
    would appear that I now need to figure out how to clear the contents of every
    apparently blank cell in the column before copying the months into them, so I
    am faced with the same original problem...

  14. #14

    Re: Copy value until next value

    That srot of mess up the basics for Bernies "speciel cells" sulution. Back to the painfully slow word of loops I guess...

    Could you make some kind of assumption about the "real" month values?
    This example assumes that any value that is less than 2 characters is actually blank or junk.

    Sub Month_copy()
    Dim CELL As Range, RNG As Range

    Set RNG = ActiveSheet.Range("A2", "A10000")

    For Each CELL In RNG
    If Len(CELL.Value) < 2 Then CELL.Value = CELL.Offset(-1, 0).Value
    Next

    End Sub

    Set the "RNG" in some clever way (dont start from row 1). Example:
    lastRow = ActiveSheet.Range("b10000").End(xlUp).Row
    Set RNG = ActiveSheet.Range("A2", ActiveSheet.Cells(lastRow, 1))

    /clueless

  15. #15
    ewan7279
    Guest

    Re: Copy value until next value

    Cheers pointless - works like a treat. I knew it wasn't as hard as I was
    making it...!!

    Thanks to Glen, Tom and Bernie for the input too.