debits and credits in one column

  1. #1
    childothe1980s
    Guest

    debits and credits in one column

    Hello:

    I have a financial spreadsheet containing journal entries and, of course,
    one column has debits and the other has credits.

    The debit column and the credit column have to be in one column and the
    credits will need the negative sign placed in front within that same column
    to make the number a negative obviously.

    What formula can I use to place these two fields like these into one column
    with a negative sign in front of the the credits within that one column?

    Thanks!

    childofthe1980s

  2. #2
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: debits and credits in one column

    The formula example below assumes debits in A3 and credits in B3

    ="-"&TEXT(A3,"#.00")&" "&TEXT(B3,"#.00")

    If you want a currency format for the values change the "#.00" formatting to
    "$#,##0.00" to get punctuated values with 2 decimals

    --
    Kevin Backmann

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: debits and credits in one column

    Hi

    I read the request slightly differently.
    Assuming the Journals have a description in column A, Debit amount in B
    and Credit amount in C and assuming they take the normal form where
    there will not be a value in both column B and co,um C for the same line
    entry, then in column D
    =B1+C1*-1
    will get all the values to a single column wit the appropriate sign.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Jerusalem, Israel
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: debits and credits in one column

    1) I Tried the first solution above but when there's a credit in the credit column), it returns the value "- 560" instead of a positive number.
    2) U then tried both the second solution and another solution from another forum, '=IF(B37<>"",-B37,C37) . Both solutions returns me a minus number if the there's a Debit, but a #VALUE message if there's a Credit.

    any ideas or suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B View Post

    "childothe1980s" wrote:

    > Hello:
    >
    > I have a financial spreadsheet containing journal entries and, of course,
    > one column has debits and the other has credits.
    >
    > The debit column and the credit column have to be in one column and the
    > credits will need the negative sign placed in front within that same column
    > to make the number a negative obviously.
    >
    > What formula can I use to place these two fields like these into one column
    > with a negative sign in front of the the credits within that one column?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > childofthe1980s
    Last edited by [email protected]; 05-26-2013 at 04:43 AM.

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Southern California
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: debits and credits in one column

    Often the corresponding credit is on the line underneath the debit, in the next column. (According to my Accounting Professor)

    So, assuming the item description is in Column A, the Debits are in Column B, and the corresponding Credits are one line below in Column C, place this simple formula in Column D and then copy and paste down for as many rows as needed

    =IF(B1<>"",B1,C1*-1)

    (Interesting that the initial question is now more than seven years old.)