Is it possible to protect specific cell even with sheet unprotecte

  1. #1
    scuffy
    Guest

    Is it possible to protect specific cell even with sheet unprotecte

    I have several templates that contain a macro which automatically puts the
    user name and territory they are assigned into the appropriate cells for
    identifying the individual that creates a worksheet when it is opened, then
    locks the worksheet. The worksheets are sent into the head office monthly for
    review and electronic filing.

    Is it possible to protect the user name cell if someone knows the password
    to unprotect the overall sheet? Some of the templates were created in Excel
    2000 and converted to 2003. We are curreently running 2003. After the
    worksheet is created and saved we do not want another person opening the
    worksheet to alter the data in the name or territory cells.

    Thanks in advance

    scruffy

  2. #2
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to protect specific cell even with sheet unprotecte

    You could protect the worksheet with a random password created by the
    macro. If you do that, though, you may want to hide that password
    somewhere in the spreadsheet (perhaps on an unused sheet) so that the
    sheet can be unprotected if it's really necessary.

  3. #3

    Re: Is it possible to protect specific cell even with sheet unprotecte

    Sure, but it's not worth the trouble:

    Visit JE McGimpsey's site:
    http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

  4. #4
    scruffy
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to protect specific cell even with sheet unprot

    Thanks for the site info Dave, I checked out the site and it answered a lot
    of what I was wondering about - I think we'll be better off keeping it as is.

    scruffy

  5. #5
    scruffy
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to protect specific cell even with sheet unprot

    Mark, thanks for the suggestion - I'll use that method a few other templates
    that the IT division manages. The main trouble in this situation is that the
    Office Manager of that particular Division needs the ability to modify the
    territory locations\assignments and therefore must be able to unlock the
    template to change cell data.

    I tried to get the password for individual cells to work automatically in a
    macro but it always bombed out when the sheet password was reapplied.

  6. #6
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to protect specific cell even with sheet unprotecte

    > Sure, but it's not worth the trouble

    It does keep out users who are a little too curious but aren't really
    Excel- or computer-savvy and thus wouldn't know where to look, or could
    figure what to do with McGimpsey's code if they did find it. I deal
    with a lot of those. Passwords - random and otherwise - are my
    friends. :-)

  7. #7

    Re: Is it possible to protect specific cell even with sheet unprotecte

    I don't see too much benefit in the random password--if you use an uncommon one
    instead.

    Heck, I protect many worksheets with no passwords. It keeps out most people
    with just that.

  8. #8
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to protect specific cell even with sheet unprotecte

    > I don't see too much benefit in the random
    > password--if you use an uncommon one
    > instead.

    I like to use random passwords for read-only copies of workbooks. These
    are so some people can look up information without being able to change
    it. A random password keeps me from being forced to allow editing by
    someone with a little too much power and not enough sense (or
    scruples). Hey, it's random, I can't begin to guess it - right? (I just
    love office politics.)

    > Heck, I protect many worksheets with no
    > passwords. It keeps out most people
    > with just that.

    Good point; I often do that as well. It just depends on what a workbook
    is designed to do and who gets to use it.