Show range names in background

  1. #1
    Mushka
    Guest

    Show range names in background

    When you have range names in a worksheet and you set the zoom lower than 40%,
    all range names appear in the background with borders around it.

    Is there a way to show range names in the background in the same manner but
    with a more user friendly zoom llike 75% or 100%?

    I searched a lot on the web and all I found is the follwing:

    Excel name manager highlights range names but it does not allow you to click
    in the cells behing the range name. When you do so, you are in a text box
    containing the range name, not in the cell.

    I also found VBA functions that can be used with conditional formating.
    Those functions scan all names in the workbook to test if the conditional
    formated cell intercepts a range address. It works but since every single
    names are scan in every single cell where the conditional formating is
    applied, this method is not really efficient in large workbooks.

    Any other suggestions?

  2. #2

    Re: Show range names in background

    You may want to get Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew
    Henson) Name Manager:

    You can find it at:
    NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

    This utility has the option of putting a textbox around each name to highlight
    it.

  3. #3
    Mushka
    Guest

    Re: Show range names in background

    Thanks for your reply Dave but the Name Manager, which is a very powerful
    tool, add a comment box "in front of" the range name so that you loose direct
    access to the range. The only way to access cells in the range is to select
    a cell outside the range (and the toolbox) and move in the range with the
    arrows, which is less efficient than jusk clicking on a cell in the range.

    There is a source code in Excel that shoes range names as soon as the zoom
    is set lower than 40%. I just want to know how to disactivate the "zoom
    condition".

  4. #4

    Re: Show range names in background

    I think the only way to get access to that code is to start working for MS in
    the excel group that is responsible for this feature.

    Doesn't sound like a likelihood, huh?