File sized in inexplicable way

  1. #1
    Sergio Luis Martins
    Guest

    File sized in inexplicable way

    Hi All,

    I was working in workbook with some formats and some VBA codes that had
    about 90 Kb and, without I do nothing extraordinary, it got 1,6 Mb. Trying
    to discover what made happen the problem, I deleted all things but the size
    is already in 1,4Mb.

    I deleted:
    - All objects and comments
    - All entire rows and columns (All formats and contents)
    - All VBA code
    - All others sheets but 1

    Is there something that I forgot to delete?

    TIA

    Sergio

  2. #2
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: File sized in inexplicable way

    Sergio,

    You should delete empty columns and rows by right-clicking
    on the column and row headings and selecting delete from
    the popup menu.
    Also, you will probably have to save the workbook before any
    file size reduction takes place.

    Regards,
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

  3. #3
    Sergio Luis Martins
    Guest

    Re: File sized in inexplicable way

    Hi Jim Cone,

    Thanks for your reply but, before disturb you here, I already had done this
    many times, opening and saving the file in the Excel 2K, XP and, 2003
    without success.

    Regards,

    Sergio

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: File sized in inexplicable way

    Sergio,

    Your message said...
    "I deleted:
    ....All entire rows and columns (All formats and contents)"

    However, you must replace the empty rows and columns with new ones,
    not just clear them. Maybe this will explain it better...
    http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

  5. #5
    Sergio Luis Martins
    Guest

    Re: File sized in inexplicable way

    Hi Jim,

    I'm sorry if my message isn't so understandable.

    Yes. I deleted all entire rows and columns, therefore all formats and
    contents were deleted too because all deleted rows and columns were
    substituted for new ones. As I said, the workbook is totally clean.

  6. #6
    Peter T
    Guest

    Re: File sized in inexplicable way

    Hi Sergio,

    Very occasionally it's impossible to clear the "empty" used range with all
    the tricks in the book (at least all that I'm aware of!). Can occur if
    entire rows have been formatted and hidden columns, and after some other
    things.

    You could copy each sheet to new books (sheet tab menu) and look at file
    size of each. Rebuild and replace the offending sheet.

    Regards,
    Peter T

  7. #7
    Shailesh Shah
    Guest

    Re: File sized in inexplicable way

    Hi Sergio,
    It may be a junk codes remaining in the workbook, even if you deleted
    all the modules. see below link.

    http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

    BTW you can also try "File Sizer"(com-addins for excel-2000+) from below
    site.

    http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/

    Regards,
    Shah Shailesh
    http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/
    (Excel Add-ins Page)

  8. #8
    KrunoG
    Guest

    RE: File sized in inexplicable way

    Check out "print area" or "defined names" .... really don't know wnat else...

  9. #9
    Sergio Luis Martins
    Guest

    Re: File sized in inexplicable way

    Thanks to Jim, Shailesh, and KrunoG to try to resolve the problem, but
    unfortunately Peter T is right.

    Regards,

    Sergio

    news:[email protected]...