can an excel cell be given a number of values say 2 or more ?

  1. #1
    christopher ward
    Guest

    can an excel cell be given a number of values say 2 or more ?

    hi experts - if you help thanks in advance

    im working with excel 2003 and wondered if a cell can be given a number of
    values
    my thoughts are if a cell represents a sales value can it also hold a budget
    value as well. i think i have read of this but im not sure if its just with
    text values

    of course if the cell can hold 2 values can we derive a third value

    thanks in advance .......
    --
    C Ward

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Ahmedabad, India
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2000
    I don't really think that a cell can hold two values in a true sense. But then how about comment object associated with a cell? Comment can be exploited to store 2nd value in the cell. Of course using it for mathematical manupulations etc will be difficult but it could be done. But I can't visualise such a requirement of storing two values in a cell.

    A V Veerkar
    Last edited by avveerkar; 02-07-2006 at 07:19 AM.

  3. #3
    christopher ward
    Guest

    Re: can an excel cell be given a number of values say 2 or more ?

    pushing the bounds of software is always a good thing to do and the example
    i gave is not my practical work rather i was trying to give an easy example

    if we could store a series of array values in a given cell we could store
    all sorts of information making excel have an extra dimension as such , i am
    currently working on such a problem - most olap technologies do a similar
    idea to this as did the old multidimensional spreadsheets from IBM and Lotus

    a cell could be said to have attributes or properties - i guess a comment is
    a type of attribute about a cell but this is where my thoughts are

    --
    C Ward

  4. #4
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: can an excel cell be given a number of values say 2 or more ?

    <pushing the bounds of software is always a good thing to do>

    I don't agree at all.
    Using elements of software for purposes that they weren't meant for is one
    of the least sensible things to do. Sooner or later you'll find yourself in
    trouble. It is not uncommon to blame the software provider in such cases,
    but the real cause is of course misuse.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    "christopher ward" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    christopher ward
    Guest

    Re: can an excel cell be given a number of values say 2 or more ?

    I always work to 2 principals -

    user friendly and cost effective

    nor do i think my questions are fantastic in nature - therefore bounds of
    software is a limited term , i guess we all use what we feel happy with ,
    poor software design is in no ones interest but at least im suggesting items
    that excel shoudl really be able to do - limitations in spreedsheets are well
    know and it is why the OLAP tools boom in may ways

    an im not blaming anyone - just asking a number of questions - the client i
    have in this case only has excel knowledge and little money for new capital
    expenditure

    --
    C Ward