Converting Decimal Ft into Ft & In

  1. #1
    Edward McClelland
    Guest

    Converting Decimal Ft into Ft & In

    I am a draftsman working with steel. I am developing a spreadsheet which
    calculates the steel I use. The problem is in converting decimal ft. into
    normal ft & inches.

    example: Convert 10.4167 into 10'-5"

    I tried the CONVERT function but to no avail.

    Pls help.

    And Thanks, I love the site!

    Ed McClelland

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Converting Decimal Ft into Ft & In

    =TRUNC(A1)&"'-"&ROUND((A1-TRUNC(A1))*12,1)&""""

    If you are looking for a cell format, you could do

    format=>Cells=>custom and use

    ? ?/12

    This would give 10 5/12

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Converting Decimal Ft into Ft & In

    Will you ever need 1/4 inch (or fractional inches)?

    If yes, then take a look here:
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fractex1.htm