Path in formulas

  1. #1
    Rob
    Guest

    Path in formulas

    Is there anyway to have Excel not put the path in a formula when renaming a
    file. I have some large long IF statements in my workbook and when I save
    the file in a different directory and then try to reopen, I get a "formula is
    too long" error. These functions are linked to other spreadsheets on
    different drives. Can someone please help?

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Path in formulas

    Rob,

    Sorry, but no. The way around this is to put each link into a separate cell, then make your formula
    using only those local cells.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    John Keith
    Guest

    Re: Path in formulas

    Bernie, could you put the references into a named-range...

    RangeName:
    LogRange

    RefersTo:
    =[c:\documents and settings\myname\my
    documents\myOthersheet.xls]Logs!$A$1:$H$10

    then the formulas would use the shorter name "LogRange" to represent that
    link?

    John

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Path in formulas

    John,

    I don't know, because I personally prefer to not use complex names. I think they make it harder to
    understand a workbook and maintain it.

    But it may work, though I would certainly test to see what happens when the "myOthersheet" file is
    saved under a different name.

    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...